Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Around the Chicago northwest suburbs here, renting an enclosed storage unit costs $175 per month, so last year I parked our Sky under our deck in what I would describe as a make-shift car port. I had mounted a tarp to the underside of the deck which worked but had issues with drainage, more issues than I anticipated. It was also very difficult to setup.
Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire

This year I decided to try something different with a new 12x16 tarp. Reusing some of the same wood 1x2s I came up with this which was so much easier to setup. The 1x2s along the lower sides hold it together well, yesterday being a good windy test, but I wonder about 60 mph winter winds. I am thinking of swapping out the lower 1x2's for 2x2s or 2x3s.

Being lower on the sides, this "shelters" our Sky better than last year and drains better with no concerns for the deck itself, but I have to be watchful for blowing snow accumulation.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I place trays of mothballs in the trunk and passenger floor, and hang 3 bags of mothballs in the engine bay in strategic places. I also store the snap-on engine cover inside the car, and plug the tail pipe with a snug-fit plastic bottle. Last year I had no rodent issues using this strategy.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps you can also put a car cover on it to double-up on protection.
I was afraid to cover the car itself for a few reasons.
1) trapping in dampness (there is a lake in back)
2) wind flapping the cover, damaging the paint
3) cover encouraging rodents to move inside one of the buttresses

1 - 3 of 3 Posts