Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about winter storage for a Sky. I won't be driving it in the winter. It will be in the garage. While the garage is NOT heated, it is attached to the house and will hardly get below freezing even on the coldest nights in Connecticut.

Things that I am concerned about:
  1. Battery
  2. Oil
  3. Fuel
  4. Paint
  5. Tires
  6. Interior - This will be my first car with leather.

Anything else I'm missing that I should be concerned about?

I attached a file that I found at a tire manufacture's web site about winter tire storage. One thing I found was that if you can't block up the car, you should increase the tire pressure by 25%. I guess that is to prevent flat spots.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Check out this thread.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2191&highlight=winter

I found it using the search option. I asked the same question quite a while back. I did a search on winter. I have to admit it was a little hard to find as there were a lot of references to the search word I used. Of course I knew what I was looking for. I found it interesting reading. I hope you do too.

Have you ordered your Sky? Sounds like we ordered nearly the same car. I didn't take the XM radio though.

BTW I'd watch the links in your signiture. Boardering on advertizing.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Winter storage, what is that?? I didn't even winter store my motorcycle, rode it in 18F weather as long as there was no ice on the roads! Better to drive it whenever you can, as it keeps the seals in shape.

Of course, now that I am back home in Texas, driving all year is no problem at all. :lol: :thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
TexSon said:
Winter storage, what is that?? I didn't even winter store my motorcycle, road it in 18F weather as long as there was no ice on the roads! Better to drive it whenever you can, as it keeps the seals in shape.

Of course, now that I am back home in Texas, driving all year is no problem at all. :lol: :thumbs:
You are so lucky that you don't have to deal with ice and salt.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
rick112 said:
You are so lucky that you don't have to deal with ice and salt.
Salt is my only fear really. Around Chicago the plows do a pretty good job of de-snowing, but they do love to, ah-h-h season the road.:lol:

I plan to drive my SKY (Sunni) on days where it may be cold -- but no Salt.:nono:

Here is a question... If I drive :driving: my SKY say at least 1-2 times a month -- that would be ok, I would not have to do any special storage stuff -- would I??:confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Salt is my only fear really. Around Chicago the plows do a pretty good job of de-snowing, but they do love to, ah-h-h season the road.:lol:

I plan to drive my SKY (Sunni) on days where it may be cold -- but no Salt.:nono:

Here is a question... If I drive :driving: my SKY say at least 1-2 times a month -- that would be ok, I would not have to do any special storage stuff -- would I??:confused:

Also any prior soft top owners have any comments/suggestions no weather it would be better to leave the top up or folded down while the car is parked/stored in a garage? Reading some of the material earlier sounds like dust could cause problems on the top if left up or if folded might cause the cloth top to not breath or cause molding....any comments?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
futureskyowner said:
Also any prior soft top owners have any comments/suggestions no weather it would be better to leave the top up or folded down while the car is parked/stored in a garage? Reading some of the material earlier sounds like dust could cause problems on the top if left up or if folded might cause the cloth top to not breath or cause molding....any comments?
If I recall (don't rely on this but it IS common sense), I believe I read somewhere to put the roof up but NOT clipped into position. Cover to keep dust off. By not clipping it you do not stretch the material and you do not compress the seals. By putting it up -- you keep creases from forming in the material.:thumbs:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
If I recall (don't rely on this but it IS common sense), I believe I read somewhere to put the roof up but NOT clipped into position. Cover to keep dust off. By not clipping it you do not stretch the material and you do not compress the seals. By putting it up -- you keep creases from forming in the material.:thumbs:

That's kind of what I was thinking too...:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bad Idea

It's not good for a vehicle to be put into storage over the winter months. I'd suggest drivig it at least one day a week to keep everything properly lubricated. Preservation is an extensive process if done properly. Fuel additives, preservation oils, etc. In the long run you'd be better off occasionally driving the Sky when the weather and road conditions are good. You must also consider the costs associated with this when it comes to insurance, licensing, etc. In our state you could turn in your tags and drop your insurance only to find that when it's time to put it back on the road that you get the hassle of dealing with the DMV. My point is why pay insurance if the car isn't being utilized? I drove my scooter this winter because I couldn't see going through the hassle. Sure there were times when I got a little cold driving it that one day a week but I knew that when the weather gets good I wouldn't be faced with any problems. I hope I've talked you out of this mind set. Enjoy your Sky year round.... that's why it has a top, rear window defroster and a heater.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Top Up or Down

Always keep you top up in the cold weather months. Reasons: 1. In an emergency you'd be able to use the Sky. Putting the top up or down in cold weather can cause problems. Not sure about the cloth top of the Sky but with vinyl tops they crack very easily. 2. You can always keep it under a car cover to keep the dust off it. That's what I plan on doing with mine. One day a week driving in the winter months and the rest of the time protected in my garage under a proper car cover. 3. Don't know if the cloth will have what's called a memory. If it's left down for too long the creases may set in sort of like not taking your wash out of the drier for a few days. Wrinkles become hard to get out. Only way to get them out is to place then back inh the drier and let it run a while to remove the wrinkles. Same might be said for the Sky's top. It may require putting the top up and letting it out in the sun to heat up. Needless to say I feel it's best to have the top up. I could be wrong but it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Very good info Jayne -- I agree.
I plan to drive my SKY year round except when there is salt. I most likely will use it once a week or so.
I plan to keep teh top up -- but no secured in place, covered by a car cover (well the whole car)....
But I should get mine in Jukly/August -- soI should have some riddin' time!!:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts