Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any good posts on here on prep for winter storage?

or - let me ask some questions...
gas tank full or empty?
battery? should i take it out and store in warm breezeway?
mice? traps set around the car, although the pole barn is pretty tight.
anything else?

thanks
marti

ps. bummed, don't want to put her away, BUT will be elated next spring!!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
I keep mine with battery intack...no battery tender...if it is a good battery, it will turn over next Spring...if it doesn't , just jump it and it will probably be good again...don't forget Sta-bil for the gas...some people over inflate their tires...I do not...other than that...kiss her good bye.

I do give it new oil before it hibernates...Gas tank should be full so water cannot get in. The Sta-bil acts like dry gas also. Do set mouse traps around the baby...u may even want to put a few in your engine.

My battery is now past the 5 year mark and next Spring will be 6...I know I got lucky with mine...so, it will be DEAD next Spring and I will replace it. It served me well.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I store it in my garage at night and at my work parking lot during the day ;)

MM's tips are very good though if you choose to do this.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
I use a Battery Tender Plus for winter storage. Works great, won't overcharge.

A lot of people use Bounce sheets to keep mice away. They DO NOT work. Urban myth.

Last year I used traps and caught a few, but one fat cocky bastid was actually swiping the peanut butter from the armed traps. Found a large ball of peanut butter on the top of the engine in the spring. He must of been storing and went back one too many times and got whacked.

I don't think Staybil is necessary. Pump the tires up to avoid sloooow loss of pressure. Oil change in fall or spring? Different thoughts.

There are several threads on this subject.

Edit PS: Contact your insurance company to see about taking it off coverage for the winter, covering with homeowner's. Put a hold on XM if you have it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Man, it must suck to live up north...It's still 85-90 degrees here. It's actually still kinda hot to drive top down right now. We can drive literally year round.

I've had the top and doors off my Wrangler for the last 3 weeks and with the shade cover I have, it's perfect.

Don't mean to rub it in too much...
:lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I set mine up like MM. I do not use traps. I use rodent bate all over the garage in and under areas where mice may travel. I use to be an inspector many years ago and one of the things I looked for was rodent infestation and if there were proper bait stations set. Setting bait in the outer perimeter inside of the garage will work well. Set bait early before the weather gets too cold, before you store your car, so that when mice move in to warmer protected areas, they will take the bait and settle near the bait station. They will die within a few days. Mice can live and stay within a 6' area as long as there is food available. Also keep the area around the car open and well lit. Rodents prefer dark secluded areas for protection. I am not suggesting that you keep a light on all the time, just keep the car in an area as open as possible to natural light.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Battery Tender for me

Northeast Ohio - since I got it I have been storing it in my unheated garage for two to four months each winter - depends on how bad things get.

The first winter I did not have a battery tender - and with some of the mods I have done - the battery did drain - although it did end up needing replacement as it had a bad cell.

During the summer I generally park it in the garage top down - in the winter I will put the top up.

during the winter - depending on salt conditions I will take it out - after we have had a good rain to wash the salt away - and there aren't a lot of puddles.

I have found some mice in the garage - a couple dead ones in a nest under the hood of the GTO a few years back - and another nest on the opposite side of the garage just last week. none so far have messed with the Sky.

My dad has tried moth balls and other ideas to keep critters at bay.

We did get him a car bubble for the 59 Bonneville - but the bubble is too big to fit in his garage - have to drive the car to my sister's house and put it in the barn to use the bubble.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My routine typically includes the following:

- One last bath for the season
- Sta-bil in a full tank of gas
- Inflate tires to max allowable pressure
- Park on some cheap foam insulation
- Disconnect battery (it won't start on the first key turn in the spring, but it does on the second... not really sure why)
- Cover it up and set some mouse traps

I change the oil in the spring before I take it out. Oil will absorb water over time, so even if you change it in the fall, you'll want to do it again in the spring.

·
Registered
771 Posts
To add:
Myth or not – fabric sheets inside the engine compartment, cabin & trunk (helps smell Spring Fresh)
Top Up – BUT NOT LATCHED - perhaps keeps the seal from forming.
Covered (even within the garage) - then I lay the dozen or so bath drying towels on top and along the side to help cushion any accidental hits.
Bought a trickle charger but have yet to use it (haven’t needed it and I’m not all too sure of trusting a $5 harbor freight item)

·
Registered
150 Posts
It is sad to be thinking this already.

Unheated garage.
Sta-Bil & a full tank of gas
Fresh oil and filter
Vapor barrier over the concrete / under the car
I use Downy dryer sheets, so far no mice. I even took this concept to the pool heater and ATV stored outside and so far so good. This year, the grill. If it works there I'll be convinced.
Battery disconnected with battery tender connected. The battery is such a PITA to change, I thought this might extend the life.
Cleaned and polished all over. Leather treated.
ArmorAll on all door, hood, top & trunk seals.
Top up and unlatched, hood popped, trunk popped, windows slightly down, doors cracked open.
Covercraft Evolution cover
Lightly oiled rags stuffed into exhaust openings.
Over inflated tires. Minimize flatspots on that first ride in the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
...I use Downy dryer sheets, so far no mice.
No wolverines, buffaloes, condors or dolphins either I'll bet.

You're just lucky and no mice were in there to begin with. Trust me, the dryer sheets are not keeping them away. Last year I practically plastered my garage with them. Engine compartment, foot wells, trunk, engine compartment, a veritable "moat" around the outside of the car. My wife questioned my sanity (of course, not only on this). The mice still showed up and while they did not apparent damage to the car, there was clear evidence they'd made it under the cover.

If it makes you feel more secure, go ahead and use them. It is a cheap remedy.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Lead acid batteries are happiest at full charge in a cool environment. As charge dwindles, internal sulfation can occur which eventually kills the cells.

In today's cars, with all our electronics draining battery even when the car is off, it is a good idea to disconnect the battery for any sits longer than a couple of weeks. And it's a good idea to make sure the battery is fully charged when you do.

But even a fully charged disconnected battery will drain. As some here have attested, a battery can last several months this way. The key is to ensure it has a good charge at the start. If it is partially depleted, damage can occur even if disconnected.

Even better than simple disconnect is a battery tender. A battery tender will keep the battery at full charge, where it is happiest for longevity sake.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
I remember the good ole days...when u had to add water to the cells...I would leave my car in the street for about a month in the winter...and it would start right up when I returned from winter vacation...but that was then.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts