Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Standard on all GM vehicles (eventually)

hayabusa said:
Hey jeff do you know what a stabiltrak does ?
GM has stated that they plan to make stabilitrack standard on all vehicles in the near future:

http://www.gm.com/company/onlygm/safety_stabilitrak.html

which says: Using sensors, StabiliTrak:Detects the difference between the steering wheel angle and the direction you're actually turning Applies quick, precise force to the appropriate brakes to help the driver control the vehicle’s direction to help keep it on course.

not sure about tire pressure sensors.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tire pressure sensors are to be standard required equipment for all vehicles in the next couple of years. Sorry i can't remember exactly when or where I read that. Stabilitrak has nothing to do with that tho.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Having driven a few vehicles with stabilitrak, it is a nice feature to have when you are just doing normal driving.. Hopefully they have an off switch for on track events and more spirited driving :D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
jeffgtx said:
do you think there will be a tire pressure monitor added to the DIC?
Probably not because tire pressure sensors are currently only required for cars with run-flat tires standard, and the GXP/RL wont have run-flats.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Jordan said:
Having driven a few vehicles with stabilitrak, it is a nice feature to have when you are just doing normal driving.. Hopefully they have an off switch for on track events and more spirited driving :D
There's a sport mode just like the new C6 Corvettes have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its my understanding that stabilitrak uses sensors from the ABS etc to monitor individual wheelspin and compensate.

early tire pressure monitors used teh same info. if 1 wheel was spinning XX% faster than the other three it likely was lower pressure, which triggered the warning light.

if you are adding the software to do all teh stabilitrak stuff, why not add that to the code and trigger the warning light?

·
Registered
202 Posts
jeffgtx said:
its my understanding that stabilitrak uses sensors from the ABS etc to monitor individual wheelspin and compensate.

early tire pressure monitors used teh same info. if 1 wheel was spinning XX% faster than the other three it likely was lower pressure, which triggered the warning light.

if you are adding the software to do all teh stabilitrak stuff, why not add that to the code and trigger the warning light?
Because of the prevalence of stiff-sidewall low-profile tires which might be 10-12PSI low and not sag significantly enough to set off a rotational speed sensor. Those things didn't work very well anyway in my experience. Lots more false positives than actual alerts. When my 98 Regal was down 15PSI it didn't go off (stock tires/wheels) but go over a bumpy road while accellerating and the tire skipping would set it off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
BTW, in a nutshell, Stabilitrak uses yaw sensors to determine what direction the car is travelling. If the wheels aren't pointed in the same direction it uses the ABS to pulse the appropriate brake to bring it back in line.

The old Corvette "active handling" was a precursor to this system and a little bit more primitive. Hopefully we'll have the option of not just going into "competition mode" (pushes the boundries of computer intervention) but the option to turn it off completely.

Find the Top Gear comparo of the Monaro / 300C and you'll witness Jeremy Clarkson complaining about the inability to turn off the stability control on the Chrysler and having an absolute blast driving the Monaro around. Not that we all like to drift, but being able to... :thumbs: is much better than the computerized :nono:

·
Registered
231 Posts
jeffgtx said:

Current tire pressure sensors are inside the wheel, attached to the valve stem. They moniter the pressure and send a radio signal to your car.

GMinthedriveway - Stability control is much more involved then how you described. It may monitor wheel speeds like ABS does, but they are completely separate systems. Stability control doesn't pulse the brake like ABS, it builds pressure differently then ABS.

While they may have complained about not being able to turn the ESP off in the 300C, you can still hold a drift in sport mode. In fact, in sport mode you can drive the car pretty aggressively. But ESP is still there to catach your f-ups. The SRT's get full off mode, but IMO the only use for that is doughnuts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so what do the new systems do? my current car, the vibe, has a TPS, that comes with antilock brakes, so i assumed they hadnt yet migrated to actual remote pressure sensors in the wheels?

i am not saying i would live or die by it, but it seems like a no brainer to toss it in there if, only once, it tells you a tire is going low and you hadnt noticed yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What

Are we talking about traction control or tire pressure here. CTC off mode,Yes Yes Yes otherwise lets just race slot cars, no risk and very little skill needed. TPS, yea sure why not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's my understanding that all cars produced in and after 2006 have to have tire pressure monitoring standard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts