Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
Good lord that's a bit overboard rstouttx. I mean, how was he supposed to compliment her?

You're a strong black person? No, race factor and I'm not even sure if replacing black with African American would work these days.

You're a strong woman and remove the racial factor? No, because then you have the gender component.

You're strong? No, could also be construed as negative because he could be trying to say the woman is "manly".

I think the only safe bet there is "You are." Can't really argue with that one without going way existential.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You can say, "you're one strong biacth"..:D

·
Registered
365 Posts
The days of the "Real DI's" are gone, One has to tiptoe around these spoiled a$$ kids so they don't get offended. Many of them think they're still in high school but don't get a taste of reality until they tap out of their MOS and get sent to infantry...:D:D
It's sad how much grief this young woman caused the instructor, he's retired, (Desert Storm I think) also Hispanic, with a young family depending on his income...

·
Premium Member
5,131 Posts
I am headed to San Diego this week, will have Sunday to drive around. May got to MCRD and see how it looks and souds. I know the quantset huts are gone. No sand Piles to play in. I hate that worse than anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Heck it was changing when I ETS in ft jackson SC.. You can see the "troops" in basic training, with these "lanterns" on all 4 corners of the formation as they were doing PT (running) towards where ever they were going.. That was in 1976.. wussies, we didn't have any GD lanterns when we did our thing, in darkness in the middle of the night... When I went to BT there 8 years earlier we didn't have that shlt, plus we had hard core DI's.. heck Vietnam war was still going full blown.. was in best shape in my life after passing BT quit smokin yea, was an okay kid, hard core and gung ho....:cheers:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Good lord that's a bit overboard rstouttx. I mean, how was he supposed to compliment her?

You're a strong black person? No, race factor and I'm not even sure if replacing black with African American would work these days.

You're a strong woman and remove the racial factor? No, because then you have the gender component.

You're strong? No, could also be construed as negative because he could be trying to say the woman is "manly".

I think the only safe bet there is "You are." Can't really argue with that one without going way existential.
"You're a strong soldier." possibly... "You've become a strong solider." or "You're becoming a strong soldier." depending on the situation. Her being black or a woman had nothing to do with it. To call those things out implies that women and/or black people are normally NOT strong.

However, I'd wager there are more details to the story if this is his second or third offense. Chances are there are many comments that people let go without reporting him. Chances are also good that it wasn't the first comment that ticked off that particular trainee. But... that's just the devil's advocate in me.

The whole PC thing has gotten a bit ridiculous. That's why Southpark has a running gag going about it.

--

And yes... The military training pipeline has softened GREATLY. I went through USAF Basic in 1992 and they were already not SUPPOSED to curse at us. :skep::confused::eek:

When I went back through Lackland in 2008 (NCO Academy), we had a current TI in our class. She said it was even worse.

Now they are allowed their cell phones nightly, they have safe spaces and time outs and all kinds of other crap if they get too stressed out. :eek::rolleyes:

--

Now, combat roles... For the most part you receive training equal to the odds of you actually encountering stuff.

For me, as a weather guy, I received fairly light training. When I was assigned to a "combat ready" unit, we got much more training and the atmosphere was MUCH more hard core. Oh yeah... there were WOMEN assigned there too.

Women in combat is nothing new. I've worked with and met PLENTY of women that have seen combat. Even in the AIR FORCE. All this new rule does is to allow women to sign up for the more extreme rolls... Rangers, CC/PJs, Seals, Recon, etc...

If you think that anyone's girly girl daughter is going to make it through one of those schools... :lol::rofl:

99% of the people on this forum have 0.1% chance (hey, I'm an optimist) of making through any of those schools. The other 1% who have trained and are in shape enough to physically make it through would still be lucky to have a 50/50 shot. Those combat positions are the NFL/NBA/MLB level of soldiers.

People DIE in those schools. The folks that go through those schools are so hard core that they drown, get revived and want to get BACK IN THE POOL and finish! (That guy was a dorm neighbor. He was training for his third shot at PJ school... stress fracture, drowned, and he STILL wanted to go back)

Those schools and the jobs they fill as soooo much less about anything physical anything and all about MENTAL fortitude.

Truth be told. I've met PLENTY of women that were FAR better suited to combat than many SF guys I've met.

--

Why is it less tragic when a man is tortured/raped/etc... (not scrolling back to quote what all was listed)? I'd also wager that FAR more women are raped and tortured during an average week here in the US than will EVER be as a result of combat.

--

Times they are a changing...

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
Women in combat is nothing new. I've worked with and met PLENTY of women that have seen combat. Even in the AIR FORCE. All this new rule does is to allow women to sign up for the more extreme rolls... Rangers, CC/PJs, Seals, Recon, etc...

If you think that anyone's girly girl daughter is going to make it through one of those schools... :lol::rofl:

99% of the people on this forum have 0.1% chance (hey, I'm an optimist) of making through any of those schools. The other 1% who have trained and are in shape enough to physically make it through would still be lucky to have a 50/50 shot. Those combat positions are the NFL/NBA/MLB level of soldiers.
Shhhheeeeeeet. With my sedentary work routine I'd be lucky to make it through the damn chow line these days.

People DIE in those schools. The folks that go through those schools are so hard core that they drown, get revived and want to get BACK IN THE POOL and finish! (That guy was a dorm neighbor. He was training for his third shot at PJ school... stress fracture, drowned, and he STILL wanted to go back)

Those schools and the jobs they fill as soooo much less about anything physical anything and all about MENTAL fortitude.
There are some great stories from the Teams I've read over the years. The best one was when this one candidate was in B/UDS the first time they tested him in the pool the instructions were "Get in and swim, underwater without coming up for air, the length of the pool." My understanding was it was a fairly large Olympic type pool. Well, the candidate jumps in the water, and starts WALKING the length of the pool. Walks the full length of it, and back, on the bottom, without taking a breath. The instructor is dumbfounded.

When the recruit gets out of the water the instructors vigorously asks him why he walked. The recruit replies, "Well Sir, I never learned to swim."

"And you want to be a SEAL?" the instructor replies.

"Yes Sir. Am I disqualified Sir?"

The instructor looks at him and says "Hell son, we can teach you to swim. I can't teach someone to want this so bad that they go for it knowing they CAN'T swim."

Truth be told. I've met PLENTY of women that were FAR better suited to combat than many SF guys I've met.

--

Why is it less tragic when a man is tortured/raped/etc... (not scrolling back to quote what all was listed)? I'd also wager that FAR more women are raped and tortured during an average week here in the US than will EVER be as a result of combat.

--

Times they are a changing...
I kind of thought these same two things as well. Israeli fighter pilots who are women as some of the toughest you'll meet.

As for the mental stress hearing a woman being tortured vs a man being tortured I feel, from what I've read and heard, that you have two camps when it comes to the reactions of those hearing the other party being tortured. The first are those who want to rush in, kick ass, and take names. I don't think the desire to do that would be modified in any way based on the gender of the one being tortured. Man or woman, that is your brother or sister in there being tortured. You want to protect them, rescue them, punish those responsible. The desire to do that burns hot in that kind of personality and I don't believe gender would cause it to burn any less or any more hot.

The second is the one that begins to internalize the violence and places themselves in the position of the tortured. What happens when they come for me? What if that was me in there? They start to imagine the feelings...both physical and mental...that their comrade is experiencing as though it was happening to them. Again, gender would play little role in how much hearing the cries of the tortured would affect them mentally. For these individuals, hearing a male being sexually violated would probably carry even MORE mental anguish than hearing a female due to western roles of sexuality.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
One thing I can guarantee you. Those Israeli pilots did not take a lightened course. Wanna know why they were so tough? I am sure after going through Israeli training they came out pissed at the world. And ready to chew through it if it got in the way.

And that is the underlying problem. We, all of us, wouldn't be worried about anyone if they went through the original training for the Rangers, Seals or any other special forces unit. If you can make it through that, then you can handle almost anything. The problem is the training will be watered down and will produce a wimpified, if you will, soldier.

I had a cousin who was accepted into the Rangers. Proudest moment of his life, outside of his family. Unfortunately he was rapelling down a cliff when his rope broke. Broke his back in 2 places. Not the spinal cord luckily. He was CRUSHED when the docs told him he couldn't serve in that capacity anymore. Ended up going into the chaplain services and specializing in chemical warfare. But, he would go back up to the top of that cliff again in a moment if he could get back into the Rangers.

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
One thing I can guarantee you. Those Israeli pilots did not take a lightened course. Wanna know why they were so tough? I am sure after going through Israeli training they came out pissed at the world. And ready to chew through it if it got in the way.

And that is the underlying problem. We, all of us, wouldn't be worried about anyone if they went through the original training for the Rangers, Seals or any other special forces unit. If you can make it through that, then you can handle almost anything. The problem is the training will be watered down and will produce a wimpified, if you will, soldier.
I agree with this 100%! If the job says you need this kind of training then it needs that kind of training! Don't tell me that it's too hard for a woman to do and thus they need lower standards. Either the woman will work her butt off to meet the requirements or she won't. Not every man is cut out for those jobs either.

I want the person in the job to be able to do the job. It really is that simple.

·
Registered
365 Posts
However, I'd wager there are more details to the story if this is his second or third offense. Chances are there are many comments that people let go without reporting him. Chances are also good that it wasn't the first comment that ticked off that particular trainee. But... that's just the devil's advocate in me.
Think that was all it takes these days. That was his second offense. His first offense was asking a girls battle buddy if she knew where the "Oriental" girl was.... :banghead:Now he's branded as a "Racist"

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Think that was all it takes these days. That was his second offense. His first offense was asking a girls battle buddy if she knew where the "Oriental" girl was.... :banghead:Now he's branded as a "Racist"
Yeah, it's sad and annoying that people expect everyone to change their linguistic habits because of relatively recent changes to what is considered PC. :| :rolleyes:

They (bosses, HR, whoever oversees the complaints) really need to take into consideration the INTENT behind the words.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Sometimes I think you say these things just to goad me on. Because everyone should know that answer by now:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts