Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after reading about all the hype on the sky and solstice, I decided to go out and test drive the sky since I liked the lines on the Sky better.

Exterior:
I must admit, when I was actually able to stand next to the vehicle, black onyx, it was sharp as hell looking. Definately a 10 out 10.

Plus the wheels are wrapped with some 245s. Not bad. Definately meaty enough to start.

Top: If I were to buy one, I would definately get a black top. With all the rubbing from the trunk, any other color will show soon. Also, opening and closing the the top was a breeze. Not as complicated as some seem to think.
2 duffle bags MAX for travel. Better be going somewhere south! :)

Interior:

Some complained it look cheap. Yes, it wansn't a leather wrapped dash, but hell, it's a sub 30k car. Come on!. Overall fit and finish was acceptable.

Cupholders....yeah right. joke. The ones between the passengers forget about it. Awkard position and extremely cheap. The driver pop-out cupholder, the most it would hold is a 12oz can. I wouldn't risk much else.

Window Switches - Yikes! The disigner must have had one arm shorter than the other. I am 6 foot 1, and I had to contort my body around to adjust the windows. Very awkward and uncomfortable.

Headroom: No Problem with Top up.

Seats - Very Good - Again at 6'1 and 235, I felt comfortable in the seats, not cramped. However, since you are sitting low in the car, my elbow was annoyinngly higher than my shoulder when resting on the window sill. That would make for uncomfortable driving on long trips. This feeling would be worse the shorter you are.

Driving position felt a little cramped as I barely could but the steering wheel above my legs.

Shifting - Tight and smooth. Very enjoyable.

Drivers Blind Spot - Or should I say Blind WALL. I had to resort to sticking my head out the window. It felt very dangerous that I couldn't see anything EVEN with all my mirrors fully adjusted. I did NOT like this at all.

Engine:
The engine department looked very good. However, replacing the battery takes removing the side panel infront of the passenger door. Seems awkward and convoluted. Not a major item within first three years, but could become frustrating afterwards.

Power (177HP-STOCK ONLY RIDE)-Umm yeah. None. I gunned it and my grandmas civic is faster. So, unfortunately, every wisea$$ in a souped up civic will pass you up on the freeway with ease even though they will be giving you a thumbs up because your ride looks sweet.

So, I am very happy that I took the time to take the test drive. It has helped me remove some of the hype and mystique and grounded me on making a good choice for purchasing a two seat roadster. If I had to buy one, I certainly wouldn't buy anything less than GXP or Redline from a power perspective unless you don't plan on going over 55mph.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Brad,

What do you think you will buy instead of the SKY....?

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
As you have found out for yourself... The SKY is NOT for everyone!!! :thumbs:

Thanks for your comments!!! :)

Regards,

BA>..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Brad,

That was a pretty good review. I've seen Sky's at dealers a few times, but never actually driven one. They just have a "wow" look to them, but the negatives can't be ignored. Luckily, so to speak, i'm only 5'8, and must have short arms since i can easily reach the window controls. The height issue does bother me in the sense that, as you explained, your elbow will sit higher than your shoulder when resting on the window still. I think the latest models will come with a seat height adjuster (i ordered my RL in Aug, so i should get this feature), so that'll be a nice, and needed addition.

The only "real" worry i have is that i've never driven a car anywhere near as fast as the Sky RL, and am afraid it might be TOO much for me to handle. I had a dodge stratus for 7yrs, and that can't have more than 130 horses, so to go to 260 PLUS turbo will be a huge change.

I still think you should consider a RL, as they are a little more refined and have very good power. The interior is no BMW, but to be fair, even Corvette's interiors arent much to brag about, and they cost twice than a Sky.

I'd never in my life buy a Miata, and the other alternatives to a Sky cost 5-10K more, which i just can't afford. A souped up 350Z can easily go over 40k, while a top of the line RL will barely hit 30k, and is better looking.

No car is problem-free, but i am more than willing to put up with the little nuisances b/c i think it's a car i'll greatly enjoy, and it's affordable.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Brad,

That was a pretty good review. I've seen Sky's at dealers a few times, but never actually driven one. They just have a "wow" look to them, but the negatives can't be ignored. Luckily, so to speak, i'm only 5'8, and must have short arms since i can easily reach the window controls. The height issue does bother me in the sense that, as you explained, your elbow will sit higher than your shoulder when resting on the window still. I think the latest models will come with a seat height adjuster (i ordered my RL in Aug, so i should get this feature), so that'll be a nice, and needed addition.

The only "real" worry i have is that i've never driven a car anywhere near as fast as the Sky RL, and am afraid it might be TOO much for me to handle. I had a dodge stratus for 7yrs, and that can't have more than 130 horses, so to go to 260 PLUS turbo will be a huge change.

I still think you should consider a RL, as they are a little more refined and have very good power. The interior is no BMW, but to be fair, even Corvette's interiors arent much to brag about, and they cost twice than a Sky.

I'd never in my life buy a Miata, and the other alternatives to a Sky cost 5-10K more, which i just can't afford. A souped up 350Z can easily go over 40k, while a top of the line RL will barely hit 30k, and is better looking.

No car is problem-free, but i am more than willing to put up with the little nuisances b/c i think it's a car i'll greatly enjoy, and it's affordable.
I guess I am more like you than Brad. I think the few oddities are what make this car different, peccadilloes, if you will. Also as far as performance, I have driven it >4000 miles and have no complaints. In my years on earth I have discovered no matter what you are driving and how fast you are going, there is someone who is gonna pass you. For the $$ she is the fastest thing I need and clipping along (occasionally) at a bit more than legal limits on interstates and even having a bit of fun at stoplights - she does just fine.
If you read my post http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8937&highlight=corvettes you'll see they almost dumped the Corvette back in 1955 because of low performance, suspension and transmission problems (as well as death defying brakes). So as time goes by I think many of the perceived problems (as well as the real ones) will disappear. I just think of myself as a pioneer...:lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Let me get this straight, you really took the time to sign up and have your one post be about why you are not going to buy a sky? :skep: Either way, sorry you didn't like it enough to buy one and good luck with your car search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me get this straight, you really took the time to sign up and have your one post be about why you are not going to buy a sky? :skep: Either way, sorry you didn't like it enough to buy one and good luck with your car search.
LOL :cool: - I've actually been lurking on the Solstice forum for a while. It wasn't until I got the cars side by side that I decided I like the edgier sky better. :cheers:

I've been researching the solstice/sky platform for 6 months. Trying to soak everything in. Again, I was caught up in the hype and itchin' to buy one. But I'm anal, and wanted to make sure I make a non-emotional decision on a vehicle purchase. Hence, the test drive.

Yes, I did sign up for this forum because this is the perfect place to give ,hopefully, an unbiased opinion of a vehicle. It may even save someone else's time and effort. Sometimes, these boards gets caught up in hype and the blinders go up and we say, "Oh i can live with that, or settle with this," But how much is enough? That's an individual question each must answer.

--

I am still in the hunt for a roadster. Again, I may revisit the redline ,if infact ,some of the annoyances get resolved as someone previously posted. I'm just not in any rush at this point.

---

I will most likely continue to lurk on this board see how things progress refining some of the finer points of the vehicle.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
72 Posts
Checkmate - I appreciate thoughtful posts such as yours. It gives me a chance to think about the negatives you (and others) have posted and decide if they are deal killers for me. So far, I'm still willing to put up with the minor annoyances, and the power (or lack of) is not an issue for me.

A car preference is truly a personal choice - remember, some folks actually liked the Pacer enough to buy them back in the 70's, so to each his own! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
I have about 10K on my Sky and I can say a few things about it.

Passenger side cup holder - Will definately hold more than a 12 oz. I've had 44 oz cups in that sucker no problem. It is actually more in danger of being damaged by a passenger's knee than anything you can put in it.

Window switches - Yea, they aren't easy. Best way is to cross over with your right arm to get to them. Thankfully the driver's is an autodown. LOL This also holds true with the center cupholder. Crossover with the left arm and they are actually usable. Maybe this is a turnoff to somepeople but really a minor annoyance to me.

Power - LOL...I hear ya. My other car should be making something like 450 HP to the wheels...the Sky can't come close. But it seems the engine wakes up a bit after about 7K miles and the exhaust/intake help too. Right now it's adequate...maybe add a ECM reprogramming to get the most out of it. But all things considered if speed is a major factor forget the base model. I have my Grand Prix for the speed fix so I was looking for more of a well handling cruiser than a turn burning, fire breathing, sports car.

I'm also 6'1" and about 240 so I know exactly how you're fitting in that car and yes, the steering wheel could stand to go up another inch or so.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the bestest thingy about the sky is the novelty, other drivers stare because they have never seen one! like the minicooper used to be,

once the novelty wears off, well there won't be much reason to own one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A souped up 350Z can easily go over 40k, while a top of the line RL will barely hit 30k, and is better looking.
Not true, I went over 40K out the door with my RedLine. That's pretty much all the upgrades in the list and a few that weren't in the list plus tax...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts