Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, in the final stretch to getting the Sky running again but kind of hit a roadblock.
If I disconnect the HPFP sensor, everything runs and idles great. Aside from an odd (and loud) whine that starts when temp hits 190', can't figure out where that coming from...
But once I plug in the sensor to the HPFP, it won't even start. I tried a new sensor to no avail.
Any ideas what my problem could be? I'm totally out of ideas...
Thank you!

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
Hey guys, in the final stretch to getting the Sky running again but kind of hit a roadblock.
If I disconnect the HPFP sensor, everything runs and idles great. Aside from an odd (and loud) whine that starts when temp hits 190', can't figure out where that coming from...
But once I plug in the sensor to the HPFP, it won't even start. I tried a new sensor to no avail.
Any ideas what my problem could be? I'm totally out of ideas...
Thank you!
My thought was that the sensor may be shorted to ground, but if a new one does the same thing that get ruled out. There could be some damage to the harness, although I cannot quite visualize how that would cause this.

Do you have a scanner that can read OBD data? The high pressure reading should be available, and may give you a hint.

The temperature is low, but I would say the first place to look for the whine is the fan. Nothing else is strictly temperature dependent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know what codes are currently on it... But I know it was throwing a crankshaft position sensor code after it broke down on me. New ones were put on, but didn't fix it (turned out to be a blown head gasket).

As far as the whine, I disconnected the fuse for the fan, power steering, and alternator so they wouldn't even run. Still whine... I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from either, it sounded close by wherever you listened in the engine bay. Even tried the old "poke it with a wooden stick to your ear" method and still couldn't suss it out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I got that much. The question is how to make it run normally /while the sensor is plugged in/.

Going to pop off the valve cover and take a look at the reluctor wheel for the intake cam... Thinking it may be off. Found this article mentioning the 2.0L, although it's recommended check is specifically for the 2.4L...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:
Got the valve cover off and confirmed the intake camshaft reluctor wheel is about 90' off. The link I posted didn't help much, as the 2.0 reluctor is a different style, so I had to compare it to new cam pictures online. Then I pulled the valve cover off of another 2.0 Sky I have that runs great and compared the placement. Must have overheated and spun... Got a new cam on the way. That should fix the issue with not wanting to start with the HHFP sensor plugged in, here's to hoping it'll fix that whining noise as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

Got the new cam in and everything put back together; car starts with the sensor now. So if you're having that trouble, definitely look into that reluctor on the cam.
Still starts to whine when engine hits temp though... Although this time it started after the temp reached 210 and started to climb back down. Think maybe it could be the water pump? Really just a hunch though, but I know they're bad to go out and this thing had been sitting for 5 years. Going to dump some Bar's in it and see if it changes it at all... If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts