Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I just read a comparo in Edmunds.com about the solstice and the miata. I see that as a fair fight. and Solstice lost which isn't that much a big deal. but I'm just sitting here and thinking what are they gonna compare the Sky to I don't see it as a miata fighter.. just a thought. I'm Thinking its more like a S2000 or a crossfire (ok so I'm thinking rl vs these cars) If thats the case man I don't know if I'd choose the Sky over those.... I love the sky don't Get me wrong but the RL estimates are getting up there I'm balparking around 30K
ok the s2000 is base 33k but has a auto roof no manual roof plus 240 hp N/a power which personally I like better than turbo but thats just me.
the Crossfire starts around 34K with employee discount thingy. but they come base with a measly 215 hp so I'm not to worried about them.

Do you guys agree that the solstice would be a miata compitition and that the sky would be better suited to compete with the s2000 and crossfire??

·
Registered
17,635 Posts
Sky4christ said:
ok so I just read a comparo in Edmunds.com about the solstice and the miata. I see that as a fair fight. and Solstice lost which isn't that much a big deal. but I'm just sitting here and thinking what are they gonna compare the Sky to I don't see it as a miata fighter.. just a thought. I'm Thinking its more like a S2000 or a crossfire (ok so I'm thinking rl vs these cars) If thats the case man I don't know if I'd choose the Sky over those.... I love the sky don't Get me wrong but the RL estimates are getting up there I'm balparking around 30K
ok the s2000 is base 33k but has a auto roof no manual roof plus 240 hp N/a power which personally I like better than turbo but thats just me.
the Crossfire starts around 34K with employee discount thingy. but they come base with a measly 215 hp so I'm not to worried about them.

Do you guys agree that the solstice would be a miata compitition and that the sky would be better suited to compete with the s2000 and crossfire??
sky has the S2000 front end....and always remember, the crossfire is really a mercedes...let's not compare apples and oranges....the sky will stand alone, where it should....it has no competition! Solstice is not even in the running as a competitior.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If your going to compare the rl to the s2000, then you should use the gxp in your comparison rather than the current solstice. I think RL,s2000, and gxp would be a good compare and maybe the sky,solstice comparable to the mx5.

whatcha think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
marlboromike said:
sky has the S2000 front end....and always remember, the crossfire is really a mercedes...let's not compare apples and oranges....the sky will stand alone, where it should....it has no competition! Solstice is not even in the running as a competitior.

I don't think this is a problem we need to address. Those of us that buy the Sky will make our own comparisons and our own decisions. I really don't much care what anybody else thinks about the Sky. I like it. I prefer it. That's enough. If others don't see the correctness of my decision, then they are ignorant slobs and I don't have time for such people. Excuse my rant, I watched "The Fountainhead" yesterday. :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I see the Solstice/Sky - Miata competition as not really a fair fight. The Miata simply is an old, tired and stale design at this point. It hasn't changed in 15 years and no one pays any attention to the car these days.
Their sales are rotten - from a high of 71K back in 1990 (worldwide) they
have sold far fewer cars than Corvette during the past six years. While the Vette has pumped out 34K sales every year, the Miata sold 16K,18K,14K,12K,
9K and this year 4K thru August. In short, Americans are not lining up to buy Miatas. In performance the two cars are more or less even steven, but when GMs cars get their turbos, the Miata may end up becoming more of a historical curiosity than anything else. Even serious enthusiasts will desert the vehicle in droves at that point.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
as far as performance goes it seems like a fair fight ---

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195

but other than that, I think people will prefer sol/sky over a miata anyday. Like you said its a tired look.
Most of the reviews I've read that have done compares with miata/sol have been pretty close.

·
Registered
411 Posts
marlboromike said:
I like the S2000. It's cool, but the S2000's front end looks Flat and whimpy as where the Sky is Built out wider and more muscular defined looking. I never noticed the S2000 on the road before I saw the Sky photos and got interested. please don't compare apples to oranges in design. :willy: I personally could care less about brand names. People don't stop to say "what's that?" about a porsche, Z4 or other hot roadster, because they have seen the same design for many years with slight changes. Now, don't get me wrong, their hot, I just want something different. oh and half the price. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Price is key for many many people

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Unfortunatly the MX-5 will more then likely be the comparison of choice. Due to the fact that these are really the only cars under $30k anymore, and the MX-5 has various models that the Solstice and Sky fit within. Besides some nicer interior bits it really only is a Solstice with a new badge.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Delnari said:
Figure the Redline to be just under $29k, and will have more that 200 ft-lbs of torque. Neither which the S2000 has.
thanks for renewing my confidence in the Sky... Hey I still want a ride in that v8....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sky4christ said:

I suggest they compare the Sky with the Boxster S.. :cheers:
Sure the Sky will lose in performance and handling, but will still be a better looking roadster at LT 50% the price.. :lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well here is a comparison of the Sky and Honda S2000

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
classic66vair said:
well here is a comparison of the Sky and Honda S2000
Surprisingly the headlights look similar to me, maybe its just me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts