Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sweet '08 Redline with a slushbox tranny. Would it be worth it to even consider swapping the existing final drive ratio for a numerically lower one? I don't care about snapping my neck off the line. I'm more interested in having a cruiser since most of my driving is long distance.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
For a long distance cruiser I would think that the top gear would already be relaxed enough - is it not?

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
I have a sweet '08 Redline with a slushbox tranny. Would it be worth it to even consider swapping the existing final drive ratio for a numerically lower one? I don't care about snapping my neck off the line. I'm more interested in having a cruiser since most of my driving is long distance.
How much long distance driving do you do, and how much would you be willing to spend? The next taller drive may get you as much as 20% better mileage in top gear, but probably closer to 15%.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much long distance driving do you do, and how much would you be willing to spend? The next taller drive may get you as much as 20% better mileage in top gear, but probably closer to 15%.
A question of curiosity based on my Lincoln MKZ regularly getting 33+ MPG on the highway and my Redline struggling to get 26. I have since learned that such a swap may not be possible and would cost upwards of $4,000.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Your RL suffers from very bad aerodynamics, and the final drive isn't going to help that. My RL gets 28 MPG at 70-80 MPH.

$4k seems high, even to have someone do the work, but I haven't priced the axle recently. I see no reason that it can't be done, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts