Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer just called me and asked for my permission to allow their tech guy to drive my sky home to field test the car to try to duplicate the noise that that i pointed out to him. IS THAT WEIRD AND SHOULD I GIVE THEM THAT PERMISSION? They told me its about 30-40 miles away. I asked them if they would they replace my gas and the guy was a little hesitant and then said yes, DOES THIS SOUND FISHY?

·
Registered
108 Posts
To me, yes it does. Ask him who is liable for the car during that time. Is the noise that hard to reproduce? If it is tell the dealer you will be glad to drive his technician home and back, but that he still has to pay for the gas.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dealer just called me and asked for my permission to allow their tech guy to drive my sky home to field test the car to try to duplicate the noise that that i pointed out to him. IS THAT WEIRD AND SHOULD I GIVE THEM THAT PERMISSION? They told me its about 30-40 miles away. I asked them if they would they replace my gas and the guy was a little hesitant and then said yes, DOES THIS SOUND FISHY?
Maybe the tech has a hot date he wants to sport a nice car? I dont think I would do it. Maybe you can offer to ride along the 30-40 miles to point out the noise? How will he know to duplicate without you in the car? :willy:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe the tech has a hot date he wants to sport a nice car? I dont think I would do it. Maybe you can offer to ride along the 30-40 miles to point out the noise? How will he know to duplicate without you in the car? :willy:

Are u from the NY/NJ metro area cuz we are thinking alike!!! :lol: LOL I jst got off the phone with a gym workout buddy who happens to be the service manager at a chevy dealer and he told me that yes they do that too in events when they cant duplicate the sound or problem to try to see if when they have it for a long period of time the same problem comes up, I mentioned to him hes not gonna go around drag racing and putting chicks in my car and he told me he better not because he and the dealership are responsible for the car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
No, I would not let anyone have the car overnight. I might take the tech home but no way would anyone dealer, tech, GM drive my SKY witout me:nono: :nono: Anything he needs to know can be found out in a 10 mile run on the highway!! Beware of everyone now--this is a hot car and the snakes are coming out from under their rocks. Who do I trust? Me and no one else. Its a bad world out here.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I would not let anyone have the car overnight. I might take the tech home but no way would anyone dealer, tech, GM drive my SKY witout me:nono: :nono: Anything he needs to know can be found out in a 10 mile run on the highway!! Beware of everyone now--this is a hot car and the snakes are coming out from under their rocks. Who do I trust? Me and no one else. Its a bad world out here.
Just got off the phone with the actual mechanic because i had concerns. He told me that he called up the tech line in Tennessee and they have given him a list of things to torque down but that the sound (SEE MY POST DAMN SOMETHING IS RATTLING......) is the normal sound of the tranny (see bulletin) The mechanic says he told them that this sound in my car is very rpronounced and just outright loud so he said hes not accepting that as an answer from them and will follow their list of things to tighten but he said this car should not sound like that. He wishes he had another sky in there to compare to. FYI he told them sound occurs while in nuetral and not while shifting and the tech line told him that they have had numerous complaints from across the country and that it is normal not harmful. I SAY BS GM FIX THE DAM FREAKING NOISE IT SOUNDS LIKE A 10 YEAR OLD PIECE OF JUNK!!!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just got off the phone with the actual mechanic because i had concerns. He told me that he called up the tech line in Tennessee and they have given him a list of things to torque down but that the sound (SEE MY POST DAMN SOMETHING IS RATTLING......) is the normal sound of the tranny (see bulletin) The mechanic says he told them that this sound in my car is very rpronounced and just outright loud so he said hes not accepting that as an answer from them and will follow their list of things to tighten but he said this car should not sound like that. He wishes he had another sky in there to compare to. FYI he told them sound occurs while in nuetral and not while shifting and the tech line told him that they have had numerous complaints from across the country and that it is normal not harmful. I SAY BS GM FIX THE DAM FREAKING NOISE IT SOUNDS LIKE A 10 YEAR OLD PIECE OF JUNK!!!!
Well than my quiet shifting car must be broken!!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Are u from the NY/NJ metro area cuz we are thinking alike!!! :lol: LOL I jst got off the phone with a gym workout buddy who happens to be the service manager at a chevy dealer and he told me that yes they do that too in events when they cant duplicate the sound or problem to try to see if when they have it for a long period of time the same problem comes up, I mentioned to him hes not gonna go around drag racing and putting chicks in my car and he told me he better not because he and the dealership are responsible for the car.
:agree: :agree:

Come on guy's it a car. Yes, if they needed to drive for awhile because it doesn't make the sound all the time I would let them take it home .

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
:lol:
Well than my quiet shifting car must be broken!!
:lol: :jester: yeah u better take it in so they can fix all the quite in your car!

CALLING ANY SKYs IN THE NYC/ WESTCHESTER AREA That dont have this problem to show my DEALER that this noise is not normal!!! 5 spds LSD of course. So they cant say well its an auto so they are different.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
:lol:
:lol: :jester: yeah u better take it in so they can fix all the quite in your car!
Maybe they can throw a screwdriver in there with a healthy chunk of sheet metal... (GM Part #SM2381738 and SD1238946):thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
To be serious.. I would - and have. And the problem was solved (It was General Motors but not Saturn)

·
Registered
144 Posts
No its normal to road test cars, on there own time, depending on the situation. IF its hard to find and hes busy with other cars. How is the tech going to diagnose your problem? its really up to you and how fast you want your problem soved.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I trust my dealer

If they had to have it to find the problem I would have no problem with it. My Eldorado had a prob. that no one could here except me untill the tech drove it a couple of days it was fixed and I was happy. I didn't worry about gas either I knew they would build it into the price of repair anyways.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I just love customers like you, you come back a week later saying the problem is back! and wonder why it couldnt be diagnosed properly the first time. Its your car and up to you, and i dont want anyone touching my sky either, But if you want it fixed right you know there are sacrifces. Not everything can be diagnosed in 10 miles. Alot of work at the shop is a intermitent problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
NY originally .... lol :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Growing up, my next door neighbor was a mechanic for an exotic cars engine shop...he would come home every other night in some crazy car. Out of curiosity I asked why he gets to drive all the cool cars home...he explained that it's for the exact same reason your dealership wants to take it home...it's sometimes hard to duplicate the problems without getting some mileage under the car...I'd do it.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Would i let them test drive it? ABSOLUTELY--If it will find & fix the problem--Remember, (And i suggets you all read the "service order" next time in for service) when they ask to to sign the service order, there is a "disclaimer", they also ask if they need to "test drive" the car to duplicate the problem YOU are describing, that is why you usually sign in 2 spots, or sign & initial--They have the right to "drive the car" to "find the problem &/or to insure it is fixed"--Once you sign and "approve" this fact--This does NOT absolve them from any damage(s) "while in their possession"--Gas has always been on me, or what is in the tank--

·
Registered
141 Posts
NO no way. you can road test it with them. its the only way. Then you can point out the issues that they maynot be familiar with. Usually because they could care less. I have had previous cars in the shop to get fixed, gave them permission to drive it home which was about 40 minutes.. and it came back with rock chips, and a scratch on my fender. You know what they said? "Oh that.... that was already there." they were in complete denial until I threatened legal action and local news action... then they fixed almost everything.... 1 scratch they would not fix... Just too much of a hastle.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I have owned many new cars and if a problem ever occurred which required the mechanic to keep over night or for few days to diagnose it, I would just give them the keys and call me when it was repaired. There are a lot of problems which do not occur on a regular enough basis to be reproduced in the shop or on a short test drive, all you would be doing is making it more difficult on yourself in the long run by placing restrictions on the mechanic, and you would wind up having cost go up or having to make more trips to the dealer to get it fixed.

Also since it is in the dealers hands they should be responsible for any damage. My guess is if they actually wrecked it, the gm of the dealer would call Saturn and you would have new or repaired car faster than if you wrecked it.

:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts