Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat on the sidelines for this Solstice EOP deal thinking it was going to be a nightmare circus. Seems like that is just what it was. Would you go through something like that to be the first to get a Sky? Seems like there are many people that feel pretty pissed about that silly EOP fiasco. I hope Saturn does a better job. Saturn are you watching / listening?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Chip said:
I sat on the sidelines for this Solstice EOP deal thinking it was going to be a nightmare circus. Seems like that is just what it was. Would you go through something like that to be the first to get a Sky? Seems like there are many people that feel pretty pissed about that silly EOP fiasco. I hope Saturn does a better job. Saturn are you watching / listening?
Here's another way to look at it.
Typically, an informed car buyer will stay away from early production of a brand new model 'cause they are perceived (rightly or wrongly) to potentially have more bugs than later production. Sorta like getting the beta version of software.
G.M. has cleverly made potential customers go gaga over these early production vehicles. :D
Kudos to the G.M. marketing dept.... :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I imagine that "EOP" refers to Early Order Policy. I don't think it's a fiasco. I think that Pontiac is trying to create a "buzz" for a company and Corporation (GM) that desperately need something to talk about. Sales of Pontiacs other cars such as the GTO and G6 are less than expected and General Motors is continuing to lose market share. Add that to the fact that General Motors and American car companies in general receive a lot of their profits from large SUVs and pickups -- the potential for real downturn at GM is quite high - given the rising gasoline costs and increased competition from foreign imports in that market segment.
As for being the first on the block to own a solstice, that may be risky as this is a first-year car on a first-year platform with a new engine. The chances for problems in production and product quality are higher at the beginning of production. Additionally, being first on the block may come with a price above sticker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I have to agree that it was a clever marketing ploy by the Pontiac marketing team.
Excitement, enthusiasm, buzz, word-of-mouth, etc. etc. were all created for the Sosltice by this first 1000 allotment.

I don't see how any of the first 1000 Solstice's will be worth more than a regular Solstice if it doesn't have a unique feature (i.e. 185HP instead of 177HP or something like that) other than a plaque and piece of paper.

No I wouldn't go through what a lot of people went through for the Solstice to get the Sky.
Not worth my time....just as along as I can get one. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Funny how 3 out the first five answer are from Canada werethere is no EOP, and we can already order one.
" Typically, an informed car buyer will stay away from early production of a brand new model 'cause they are perceived (rightly or wrongly) to potentially have more bugs than later production. Sorta like getting the beta version of software"
SO true
I believe Gm can lose some of the uzz y not have the ( where het is my" b" darn keyboard) Solstice out for sale this week.
Or they should have release the car for deliever on June 21.
The SKy may not have the same early production problems Solstice since they basicly the same car running on the same line
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The BUZZ?

I quess I am looking at it from the point of being a customer and as a matter of fact, being a forum member. Most here have waited years for the day when they would become an owner only to be thwarted by the EOP "BUZZ MILL"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Larry said:
I imagine that "EOP" refers to Early Order Policy. I don't think it's a fiasco. I think that Pontiac is trying to create a "buzz" for a company and Corporation (GM) that desperately need something to talk about. Sales of Pontiacs other cars such as the GTO and G6 are less than expected and General Motors is continuing to lose market share. Add that to the fact that General Motors and American car companies in general receive a lot of their profits from large SUVs and pickups -- the potential for real downturn at GM is quite high - given the rising gasoline costs and increased competition from foreign imports in that market segment.
As for being the first on the block to own a solstice, that may be risky as this is a first-year car on a first-year platform with a new engine. The chances for problems in production and product quality are higher at the beginning of production. Additionally, being first on the block may come with a price above sticker.
New cars, new platform, yes. New engine, no. New configuration for an existing, proven engine, yes. I admit, I may be ignorant, but from what I've read, this ecotec is the same as that currently in use in several other GM models (including the Ion and Cobalt, right?).

Now, to answer the question, there is some prestige in being able to say you had the first one on the block, the city, the area, whatever. I know first hand, since I had the first Red Line Vue in DFW. Nonetheless, most "mere mortals" don't care. If there are "new-design" issues, then some of them (the major ones) will be addressed by GM/Saturn/Pontiac and rectified/corrected. There may be some value in waiting a couple years to get one, as all early adopters pay a price. However, it sure is sweet knowing you've got the only one around. It's just like the PT Cruiser and Z4 and New Beetle... They were tremendously popular, and after a few months of them being out, everyone started getting used to seeing them and you wouldn't get as many comments and gawking onlookers. Hopefully, the Sky/Solstice will sell pretty well, and you'll see almost as many of them as you do Miatas and S2000s. Only time will tell. They are still going to be limited production models (we're not talkin 'bout a Fr0d Taurus here), so there will probably always be *some* gawk factor. :cheers: :cool:

Personally, I won't be ready for a new car at the release of the Sky, as much as I'd love to own one of the first 1000 made. Given that, I don't mind having to wait a couple model years for them to "work out the bugs". At least there are 2 nearly identical models (aside from the body work and interior parts) to help snuff out all the major electrical and mechanical issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Do you think they'll do the whole "first 1000" thing with the redline, as well? That would be cool, because I'm planning on picking up the redline when it (if) it comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Dante said:
New cars, new platform, yes. New engine, no. New configuration for an existing, proven engine, yes. I admit, I may be ignorant, but from what I've read, this ecotec is the same as that currently in use in several other GM models (including the Ion and Cobalt, right?).

Now, to answer the question, there is some prestige in being able to say you had the first one on the block, the city, the area, whatever. I know first hand, since I had the first Red Line Vue in DFW. Nonetheless, most "mere mortals" don't care. If there are "new-design" issues, then some of them (the major ones) will be addressed by GM/Saturn/Pontiac and rectified/corrected. There may be some value in waiting a couple years to get one, as all early adopters pay a price. However, it sure is sweet knowing you've got the only one around. It's just like the PT Cruiser and Z4 and New Beetle... They were tremendously popular, and after a few months of them being out, everyone started getting used to seeing them and you wouldn't get as many comments and gawking onlookers. Hopefully, the Sky/Solstice will sell pretty well, and you'll see almost as many of them as you do Miatas and S2000s. Only time will tell. They are still going to be limited production models (we're not talkin 'bout a Fr0d Taurus here), so there will probably always be *some* gawk factor. :cheers: :cool:

Personally, I won't be ready for a new car at the release of the Sky, as much as I'd love to own one of the first 1000 made. Given that, I don't mind having to wait a couple model years for them to "work out the bugs". At least there are 2 nearly identical models (aside from the body work and interior parts) to help snuff out all the major electrical and mechanical issues.
Yes those cars have ecotec 4-cyl engines, but I do believe that they are 2.2 Liters as opposed to 2.4 Liters. So they have altered them in some manner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
The thing with a program like EOP is (assuming there's more than 1000 people who want to buy the car) you're gonna have pissed-off people regardless. Kinda like a close call in sports - either one team or the other is going to hate the ref/ump/official.

Myself, I don't think I'd go through with the EOP torture. Although if I was totally obsessed with a car *cough... boxster... cough* and had the means then it probably wouldn't come down to a rational decision. ;b
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Yeah I got that email to click on the early order and get a number take it to a dealer to see if my number is an early order number,,,,,,,, Hum do you think it would be wise to get a Sky the second year????? Everyone keeps telling me it's not good to get the first year model. What should I do? Not sure I can wait another year after the Sky comes out?????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
Yeah I got that email to click on the early order and get a number take it to a dealer to see if my number is an early order number,,,,,,,, Hum do you think it would be wise to get a Sky the second year????? Everyone keeps telling me it's not good to get the first year model. What should I do? Not sure I can wait another year after the Sky comes out?????????
The Sky should be fine to buy if the you hear not many problems with the Solstice, since they are twins.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
What airbalancer said. Since the only main difference betweem the Sky and the Solstice is the skin any issues found with the Solstice should be fixed by the time the Sky comes out. However the automatic transmission will be brand new, so issues with it will be unknown at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Lucky EOP Winner

I was lucky enough, and I do mean lucky enough to get one of the EOP Solstice cars ordered. The program was like a lottery; only select orders were able to get through via computer problems and too many dealers on at once. I would do the whole thing over again, the reward of having a limited edition car makes it all the more special to me.

With that said, I would advise Saturn to do the program different if they choose the same for the Sky.
1) Limit the dealers who participate more closely (2000 dealers for 1000 cars was way wrong!).
2) Have the dealers login to only one active account at time. This would eliminate the 5+ sessions the Solstice EOP saw.
3) Have the dealers enter the orders based on deposit acceptance order. This would be fair for the first come, first serve policy.
4) Sell the cars at MSRP (should be no problem).

If Saturn did their order program with these rules then it would be a much fairer way to do it. Of course, I can say this having gotten a EOP Solstice and being number 1 on the local dealers waiting list for a Sky :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
I would think it would just be that the people who wanted one of the first thousand logged on and ordered it. simple as that. then, the car would be shipped to the dealer nearest them. Wouldn't that work better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'd Rather Wait for the "Bugs" to be Worked Out

I concur with Dante whole-heartedly.

IMHO people are just begging for small annouyances and tiny problems when buying a brand-new model car, specifially via the EOP. Just my personal opinion mind you... don't shoot me for answering the thread's question :rolleyes:

It's like my Daddy taught me so very many years ago (I come from a GM Family; my Dad worked for GM, more than half his family and relatives worked for GM... and my identical twin brother presently works for GM, go figure? :D ), "never buy the first model-year of a car!"

Okay... I'll go crawl back under the rock from whence I came :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Gary Severyn said:
I concur with Dante whole-heartedly.

IMHO people are just begging for small annouyances and tiny problems when buying a brand-new model car, specifially via the EOP. Just my personal opinion mind you... don't shoot me for answering the thread's question :rolleyes:

It's like my Daddy taught me so very many years ago (I come from a GM Family; my Dad worked for GM, more than half his family and relatives worked for GM... and my identical twin brother presently works for GM, go figure? :D ), "never buy the first model-year of a car!"

Okay... I'll go crawl back under the rock from whence I came :lol:
ill back you on that one. you can take almost any first model year vehicle, and there have almost always been more problems with that first model year. they sky wont have as big a problem because a lot of the bugs will be worked out with the solstice, however, they may still have some problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
swatthefly said:
ill back you on that one. you can take almost any first model year vehicle, and there have almost always been more problems with that first model year. they sky wont have as big a problem because a lot of the bugs will be worked out with the solstice, however, they may still have some problems.
I would not count on that been the case if the SOL gets delivered on the 4Q or late summer. The SKY is schedule to go on sale at end of January 2006, not enough time IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
No way no how would I put myself through that kind of pain or suffering. :)

I'll just wait till I can sit in one before I decide to get it for sure. It's the front runner at the moment though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I would not count on that been the case if the SOL gets delivered on the 4Q or late summer. The SKY is schedule to go on sale at end of January 2006, not enough time IMHO.
good point. usually it takes a year to work out the bugs. well, im still planning on waiting a bit for the second model year anyways. im just hoping that it will still be rare enough that when i buy it, people will stare at me and ask "what is that?"
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top