Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Source One has sold out of the giant-sized side mirrors that were going to be used on the 2010 Opel GT. Well, I want one. Will take reasonable offers to those hoarding it.

And no, Opel doesn't have any... they never went into regular production order so there's no spare part supply over there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still looking. Also willing to roll passenger side mirror into the deal if you're looking to unload a pair.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I know someone has actually put a set on his SKY...but that was about a year ago...Marvic may know...I believe GM has actually installled them on another model car..
You're probably thinking of the Camaro mirrors on the Euro-spec Camaro. Unfortunately much like the Volt's rear fog light it is the same CAD design, but with a different connector bracket.

It has been updated a bit (unlike the Volt rear fog, which is identical bracket-aside) - notably with side LEDs pursuant to the latest NCAP point system and Euro requirements.

Can't be used on Sky because the connector is flat on the Sky, arced on the Camaro.

Someday I'll pick up a Hot Wheels Camaro (Kinetic Blue) and this will be one of the first mods. Gets rid of the blind spots quite well from reviews. The LED tail lights however, I'll pass on.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
You're probably thinking of the Camaro mirrors on the Euro-spec Camaro. Unfortunately much like the Volt's rear fog light it is the same CAD design, but with a different connector bracket.

Can't be used on Sky because the connector is flat on the Sky, arced on the Camaro.
If it fits mechanically, it'd be easy enough to splice the old connectors onto the new mirror.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Not a bad looking mirror. Chris is the base different or just the connection like TS questioned. If the base is like ours it might work, but wondering if the lines would look awkward. They don't look quite right on this one, like an after thought, does not seem to flow with the Camaro body. Could just be the angle.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
You really want to put those big jug ears :eek: on this little car?
You are correct. I saw them on an Opel in the Wilmington Plant...I did not like them. As you noted, they are too large for our car. I believe GM was caught off guard when the European Standard required larger mirrors. If you notice, all car models foreign and domestic have huge mirrors. They look ugly on most cars.

The mirrors that we have are GM mirrors from 1968 through the mid 70s...they were used on all GM vehicles...but of course, not all models.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Would never work on our cars, ours are to rounded at the base, which I think Chris mentioned.

I really do not have a problem with the current mirrors, or that great of blind spot area problem, but of course I drive the King of blind spots daily, and have learned to use all three mirrors all the time.

I certainly would not want one size on one and another size on the other. That would stick out like a sore thumb it seems.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Chris, have you tried the Fiat dealerships, there are a few around now. Who knows they may have access to them

I am talking the dealer in Germany about their parts and asked recently if he could track down parts such as the cigarette lighter, the GT logos for the 2009, air bag and something else. They had a price on the air bag sensor that was way cheaper even shipped from Europe. Might be a source.

Have you changed to the KPH dash. I am still debating doing that.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
So Marvic has them all and will not sell them is my guess.

It does not bother me at all. FJ Cruisers have terrible blind spots, and you can't put the top down. Seldom drive the skpel with the top up.

·
7,078 Posts
So Marvic has them all and will not sell them is my guess.

It does not bother me at all. FJ Cruisers have terrible blind spots, and you can't put the top down. Seldom drive the skpel with the top up.
Wrong, I only has one complete set left, all other sets were sold last year...
Their might be just 4 sets total in existence...

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
So your saying your willing to sell the last pair of dragon teeth.

I would bet Chris would pay a small fortune for them. I honestly do not have problems driving mine with the mirrors, I have not even put the little moons on them. It is way easier than the FJ, and it has huge mirrors.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Going to have to pull rank here and correct that.

The Sky/Solstice mirrors are actually from a... wait for it, Fiat!

Look familiar? That's not a Solstice/Sky mirror, it's a Fiat.

This is a urban legend, but it's not true. Indeed you'll find this often online, because nobody checks if it's true or not. :banghead:

They may look similar, but the Fiat mirrors are totally different.

So there are definitly NO Fiat mirrors on Saturn Sky / Pontiac / Solstice or Opel GT.
(Everybody can see this, comparing pictures on the web, i had a Fiat barchetta with similar mirrors too :cool:)

There is no Opel GT over in Europe with the huge 2010 mirrors !

(Only 2 2010 modells build :rolleyes:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I will tell you the same thing I tell Robo. Slow down. Closing in on 70 years old and have never broke a mirror on any vehicle in my life. And I do rock crawling as a hobby. Did have the rear view mirror fall out on my 1987 Pathfinder a couple of weeks ago. Maybe that counts.

I will say putting the windrestrictor on the car and running with the top up, adds another element of blind spots. Hardly ever drive with the top up, but if I did, the windrestrictor would most likely only go on for shows.

I am knocking on wood now, why in Gods creation did I say that. Tempting fate I tell you!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sort of off topic but relevant for the folks that think they need bigger mirrors - what are these blind spots you guys are talking about? Don't tell me you guys have the side view mirrors looking behind the car. That's what the rear view mirror is for.

Your side mirrors should not have anything in them that you can see with the rear view mirror.

Good article.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

·
Registered
347 Posts
I always thought u drive looking forward...our rearview mirrors are useless. Everyone should know it by now.
What's so useless about it? It's nice to see who's checking your car out when you're sitting at the light. (or trying to rear-end you for that matter)

Our cars have reverse too.. on yours its the spot between park and neutral.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts