Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The underside of mine is broken. I assume someone tried to lift the car in the wrong place. I seek a good used one with no damage, painted the dark blue, paint code U722J.

I live in Dundee, IL 60118. Consider that in your quote to ship.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Try to contact Hoosier GXP. He has tons of parts and is not terribly far away from you. I still haven't figured out how to use the PM function on this site. But sure Robo or JohnWR can tell you.

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
Try to contact Hoosier GXP. He has tons of parts and is not terribly far away from you. I still haven't figured out how to use the PM function on this site. But sure Robo or JohnWR can tell you.
To send a PM (Now called starting a conversation) to a forum member:
  1. Click your member icon at the top right of the page. (It is the square that says "Account Details" when you hover over it.)
  2. Click on "Conversations" in the drop-down list
  3. Click on "Start Conversation" at the top right of the page that opens, just under your member icon
  4. In the box labeled "Recipients" start typing HoosierGXP (or the name of the member you wish to message)
  5. When the name of the member you want to message shows up in the list, click on it
  6. Type a message title in the box labeled "Title"
  7. Type your message in the big box below that
  8. Click "Send Message" at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been so busy on other things with the car, I finally got around to sending Hoosier GXP a note. I hope to hear from him soon. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too need to replace the R/F fender panel and the bottom bracket it's attached to because they are both broken. I can't find a salvage one in any color but you can get one from GM and the bracket and hardware come with it for $500. Haven't priced the yellow paint yet. FYI- you don't need a jack and you don't need to remove the screws from the wheel well or the bolt in the door. You need a socket wrench and there's 2 bolts and 2 screws to remove on top and then the same on the bottom. You have to lay flat to do the bottom bracket but I watched a guy show me how to do it and it was already cracked from whomever did it before, .if you had it on a lift, even easier but I have talked to GM mechanics, independent mechanics and they have no idea on how to remove the panel and horror stories about GM mechanics damaging it while removing it. And why is the how to not in the owner's manual? There has got to be a clear spray to strengthen the lip because it is fiberglass. Also, adding some wax or rubber washers to protect the hardware from damaging the lip and it'll reinforce it from moving around.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My most demanded part is right side Sky fenders. At this time I have none as they sell as fast as I can get them. To clarify to replace either of the fenders you must remove 3 10 mm bolts, 2 from the bottom and 1 inside the door at the back side of the fender. All 4 of the 7 mm screws must be removed from the innerliner and the 2 7mm on top of the fender also need to be removed. I have now rebuilt over 40 Solstice and Sky's and I have yet to find a Sky fender, right or left, that is not at least cracked on any of the Sky's I have done. There is no fix for the cracking problem the Solstice owners are lucky theirs are metal but I would venture that if they inspect the bottom of their fenders they will find most are a little flat from the same probelm as the Sky.. As these cars are low to the ground to start with any dropping of the berm or crossing a speed bump to fast will cause damage not to mention improper lifting..

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You can buy brand new fenders from GM. I could have ordered them from Zeigler Chevrolet in Schaumburg, IL (near me) at their internet price of $415 & $425 and save the shipping charges. But it was too much for Money-Pit, especially when adding the cost of paintwork.

CLICK HERE to get to Zeigler Chevrolet's prices and part numbers for the fenders. Shipping is also expensive so watch out for that.

The underside of my right front fender was completely missing. I ended up using a section of broken fender liner to fill in the hole and provide a good mounting point again. It actually worked out a lot better than I anticipated. The 4 stainless screws will get painted Ming Blue to match. You barely see them, and only from far away. What you see as missing paint, is canned lighting reflections.

In the mean time, I have my eye out for a replacement Ming Blue fender, especially because of the broken-off upper right corner.
The 4 stainless screws will get painted Ming Blue to match. With the fender on the car, you barely see them, and fortunately only from far away.

The entire fender-liner material patch is also glued on with a 2-part epoxy. As ugly as it is, it is all unseen unless on an auto lift. And it mounts perfectly with the new fender liner to the original mounting bracket. :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
You could buy a pair of fenders from either Norm at Norm's Fiberglass Design Studio or from Dave at DDM for the cost of a single GM OEM fender.
Looking good to this point, at least like you said you can't see it if you aren't looking for it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
........at least like you said you can't see it if you aren't looking for it.
Yes indeed. It is the only messed-up item on the car. The driver side is only lightly cracked and my reinforcement there made it a keeper. I hope one day to find a replacement passenger side and then the car will be 100%. In the mean time I am "functional" without the fender looking like it needs to be replaced (except for the broken-off point in the upper-right).

·
Registered
17,446 Posts
Glad I bought a spare fender when Source 1 still had them in stock...CHEAP. Should have bought more but who knew.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The DDM ones look stock and you can buy the left or the right one individually. Have you looked at some of the online parts sites? I know Norm has had some OEM fenders in the past that he's pulled off of cars to install his.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts