Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do we have any information on the AM/FM radio options in the sky? Are the radios XM universal ready? That means one could buy an XM universal tuner with satelite antenna and plug into the back of the AM/FM radio. The universal tuner is tucked under the dash and is out of the way as the AM/FM radio can now be tuned for XM.

I'm asking this as univeral tuners are being offered for $17 with the rebate.

Edit:

The universal tuner also needs a smart adapter. Looks like Terk wants to bundle the GM version with the universal adapter for a lot more money. The kit is $163 - still cheaper than $325 from factory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If that's true does that mean you could switch it over to Sirius? I like Sirius much better than XM but I prefer the "flush" look (eg: no extra equipment sitting on the dash, etc..).

Joseph

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USFJoseph said:
If that's true does that mean you could switch it over to Sirius? I like Sirius much better than XM but I prefer the "flush" look (eg: no extra equipment sitting on the dash, etc..).

Joseph

Looks like Sirius has similar equipment available, but only for sony, kenwood, jvc, Alpine, and pioneer. Could not find a GM kit. Maybe because of the Delphi (XM) connection

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Xm

Both XM and Sirius have a bult in FM Xmiter you can tune to FM 8.7 Thru 8.9 and 106 thru 107. if you use this the cost is only for the unit no other adapter are required. this make the install a no brainer. you might look at the XM2go so you dont have to make any changes to the car just plug it in to the 12v lighter.....:cheers:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seal9 said:
Both XM and Sirius have a bult in FM Xmiter you can tune to FM 8.7 Thru 8.9 and 106 thru 107. if you use this the cost is only for the unit no other adapter are required. this make the install a no brainer. you might look at the XM2go so you dont have to make any changes to the car just plug it in to the 12v lighter.....:cheers:
What I was looking at is the same kind of installation that GM does. The tuner unit is hidden under the dash and plugs into the radio. There is another adapter that goes between the tuner and the radio but all is hidden in the dash.

Here is a link:

http://www.audio-discounters.com/xmdgmk.html

But your idea certainly would work and looksw cheaper overall.

·
Registered
274 Posts
hey another question!

so if I order my sky with out satellite radio (but with cd changer) will the ugly antena in the back still come attached to the trunk?? ( looks weird with the spoiler)

·
Registered
19 Posts
That antenna...

hey another question!

so if I order my sky with out satellite radio (but with cd changer) will the ugly antena in the back still come attached to the trunk?? ( looks weird with the spoiler)
Yep, the antenna supports onstar as well, you can't get the Sky without that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The thing is, you cant just plug an XM tuner into a GM stock stereo, It doesnt just have an XM plug in. The high price tag from GM is becaue the XM tuner is intergrated into the stereo and displays the titles and such on the stock stereo which wont hapen if you use an FM tuner or cheaply do something likt that. Also you would have to add another XM attena to the exterior of the car, whereas the GM one with be built into the onstar antenna. All of these make it an obvious choice to just go with the stock one and keep the clean and sexy look inside the cabin with out plugging crap into the cigerette lighter.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
ruledawg said:
The thing is, you cant just plug an XM tuner into a GM stock stereo, It doesnt just have an XM plug in. The high price tag from GM is becaue the XM tuner is intergrated into the stereo and displays the titles and such on the stock stereo which wont hapen if you use an FM tuner or cheaply do something likt that. Also you would have to add another XM attena to the exterior of the car, whereas the GM one with be built into the onstar antenna. All of these make it an obvious choice to just go with the stock one and keep the clean and sexy look inside the cabin with out plugging crap into the cigerette lighter.

What he said. And if you want to switch to Sirius, use the piece at the bottom of this page: http://www.directed.com/audio/sirius/connect.asp You should then be able to use the factory antenna as well as the integrated controls.

·
Registered
119 Posts
reedred said:
What he said. And if you want to switch to Sirius, use the piece at the bottom of this page: http://www.directed.com/audio/sirius/connect.asp You should then be able to use the factory antenna as well as the integrated controls.
Great find! Thanks!

Do you know if I need to order the XM option to be able to use this? Or can I ditch that option and still use the sirius tuner? If I can ditch the XM option will I still have the antenna factory installed? (I assume it's the same antenna as the OnStar?) or would I need to run the antenna included with the kit.

I would assume I probably still need to get the XM option so I get the right display unit installed but I've been known to be wrong. ;)

Thanks so much! :-D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
USFJoseph said:
Great find! Thanks!

Do you know if I need to order the XM option to be able to use this? Or can I ditch that option and still use the sirius tuner? If I can ditch the XM option will I still have the antenna factory installed? (I assume it's the same antenna as the OnStar?) or would I need to run the antenna included with the kit.

I would assume I probably still need to get the XM option so I get the right display unit installed but I've been known to be wrong. ;)

Thanks so much! :-D
I'd guess you'll probably need to order the XM option so that the radio in your dash has satellite controls and is capable of displaying the information from the satellite feed. Some of the Solstice guys might know more on the topic if you want to poke around or ask over there. If the OnStar and XM/OnStar antennas are different, then you would need to run the antenna even if the radios are the same.

I'm just going to get the XM option, have it converted, and not worry about it- mainly beacuse I'd be so incredibly pissed if something wasn't right or if I had to use a portable unit because of something I chose not to buy from the factory. I'm sure XM is good, but I can't give up Stern, Derek and Romaine, and NPR!

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you want XM it's much easier to just get the option.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was given a XM satellite auto addon for Christmas. I haven't even opened the box yet because I'm not sure I would use it much. It couldn't have cost that much. Anyone had any experience with these things? Although it may not look as nice as a built-in, it would seem to be an cheaper way to go if your budget for your sky is tight.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
If it was activated (the only way I would give a gift like that) then you're wasting someone's money. Try it out. I've had Sirius for almost 3 years now and never looked back. In fact, I love listening to Howard now, but never did before because I wouldn't go back to terrestrial radio. With XM, Opie and Anthony are pretty good, reception is more predictable since the satellites don't move, and you'll love the traffic updates while en route.

·
Registered
119 Posts
reedred said:
If it was activated (the only way I would give a gift like that) then you're wasting someone's money. Try it out. I've had Sirius for almost 3 years now and never looked back. In fact, I love listening to Howard now, but never did before because I wouldn't go back to terrestrial radio. With XM, Opie and Anthony are pretty good, reception is more predictable since the satellites don't move, and you'll love the traffic updates while en route.
I'd like to ditto this. So much choice and no (or less) commercials on satellite radio. It's the only way to listen...

Personally I prefer Sirius since they have DJ's with personalities whereas XM seems to have gone with the "play as much music as possible" theme (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Now if Sirius would just get Nascar too I'd be a happy man. ;)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
USFJoseph said:
I'd like to ditto this. So much choice and no (or less) commercials on satellite radio. It's the only way to listen...

Personally I prefer Sirius since they have DJ's with personalities whereas XM seems to have gone with the "play as much music as possible" theme (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Now if Sirius would just get Nascar too I'd be a happy man. ;)
Next year Sirius will have Nascar... Nextel/ Sprint ownes Sirius, and when the current contract with XM runs out at the end of the 2006 season, it will be moving over to Sirius... The only reason I bought XM in the first place was for NASCAR now i have no reason to keep it...:banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
A Solstice owner took apart the stereo system and posted pics over the weekend. The uplevel radios do not have the port on the back to just plug an aftermarket XM system into it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
brentil said:
A Solstice owner took apart the stereo system and posted pics over the weekend. The uplevel radios do not have the port on the back to just plug an aftermarket XM system into it.
Do you have a link to that?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
brentil said:

Ya, but does he know about the OEM adapter from my previous link?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Onstar anyone?

DETROIT -- General Motors' OnStar division will offer new technology that gives subscribers automated turn-by-turn navigation in their vehicles on some 2006 models and nearly all 2007 models.

GM unveiled the technology at the Chicago Auto Show last week, where it presented the first OnStar-equipped vehicle 10 years ago.

At present, many OnStar subscribers can get directions from an adviser at an OnStar call center.

But the new technology is different. The subscriber gives a destination to an adviser, who then sends step-by-step directions directly into the car.

Once the adviser hangs up, an automated voice transmitted through the vehicle's stereo system takes over. For example, the voice will tell the driver, "Turn right in 500 feet at Maple Avenue."

Said OnStar President Chet Huber before the unveiling: "We know customers like knowing that if they get lost they can get directions and routed somewhere.

"We know the frustration of cost and usability of the screen GPS (global positioning satellite) systems. This should be another opportunity to differentiate GM vehicles and OnStar in the competitive marketplace."

The technology will debut in the 2006 Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS and STS sedans in March, Huber says.

GM will start producing those vehicles this month. The technology will be available on nearly 1 million 2007 models across most GM brands and further expand for the 2008 model year.

The new technology is not costing OnStar more money because there is no additional hardware required, Huber says.

While GM did not announce how much subscribers will pay for this capability, Huber guesses that it will fall between the current $199 a year "safe and sound" service and the $399 a year "directions and connections" package.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SUB/60209020
That breaks down to $1.10 per day as opposed to $0.55 per day (after free subscription).

The question is: Will that include the 2007 Saturn Sky?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts