Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread got me really wanting a factory looking Android touch screen radio. The problem is, no one seems to make one that is a direct fit for the Sky. Xtrons makes one for the Impala, Silverado, Sierra, etc that has the same looking radio as ours (except matte black). The connectors are exactly the same so I figured I'd give it a shot. As it turns out, the connectors are the same but GM wired them wildly different. The GMLAN protocol also seems to be different as the aftermarket CANBUS adapters line up with the same grouping of vehicles that the Xtrons radio does. I decided to purchase Axxess adapter for the Sky and attempt to wire the Xtrons harness into it.

Came in a nice box and was double boxed (pictured already removed from the plain brown cardboard box)

And because I'm always curious as to what the internals look like

Chopped the Xtrons harness in half. The small brown box is their custom canbus adapter. It also has a plug for the vehicles with factory rear seat infotainment. The section on the right is what I will be reusing and plugs into the back of the headunit.

All married up. I had to tie the amplifier turn on wire from the Axxess harness to accessory (the Xtrons unit doesn't have a wire for that coming directly out of the headunit, I think it comes out of their custom canbus box, which I'm not reusing). I do not have the steering wheel box yet and not sure if I can even make them work. The Xtrons has 2 wires left that I haven't reused, a CANBUS transmit and CANBUS receive wire. I'll have to do some more research into how those signals are formatted once they come out of one of the decoder boxes and go into the aftermarket head units via the 3.5mm plug.

First time seeing this was pure joy

Verified audio works. Unit seems very responsive and smooth.

Some things I still need/want to do:
  • Run WiFi and GPS antennas permanently
  • Purchase and install backup camera
  • Purchase and install dash cam
  • Get 4G adapter and add a data only sim to my Google Fi plan
  • Crank it to 11?

·
Registered
279 Posts
This thread got me really wanting a factory looking Android touch screen radio. The problem is, no one seems to make one that is a direct fit for the Sky. Xtrons makes one for the Impala, Silverado, Sierra, etc that has the same looking radio as ours (except matte black). The connectors are exactly the same so I figured I'd give it a shot. As it turns out, the connectors are the same but GM wired them wildly different. The GMLAN protocol also seems to be different as the aftermarket CANBUS adapters line up with the same grouping of vehicles that the Xtrons radio does. I decided to purchase Axxess adapter for the Sky and attempt to wire the Xtrons harness into it.

Came in a nice box and was double boxed (pictured already removed from the plain brown cardboard box)

And because I'm always curious as to what the internals look like

Chopped the Xtrons harness in half. The small brown box is their custom canbus adapter. It also has a plug for the vehicles with factory rear seat infotainment. The section on the right is what I will be reusing and plugs into the back of the headunit.

All married up. I had to tie the amplifier turn on wire from the Axxess harness to accessory (the Xtrons unit doesn't have a wire for that coming directly out of the headunit, I think it comes out of their custom canbus box, which I'm not reusing). I do not have the steering wheel box yet and not sure if I can even make them work. The Xtrons has 2 wires left that I haven't reused, a CANBUS transmit and CANBUS receive wire. I'll have to do some more research into how those signals are formatted once they come out of one of the decoder boxes and go into the aftermarket head units via the 3.5mm plug.

First time seeing this was pure joy

Verified audio works. Unit seems very responsive and smooth.

Some things I still need/want to do:
  • Run WiFi and GPS antennas permanently
  • Purchase and install backup camera
  • Purchase and install dash cam
  • Get 4G adapter and add a data only sim to my Google Fi plan
  • Crank it to 11?
Thanks for biting the bullet on this! This is exactly what I had in mind when I first posted about it. I had my concerns that their CANBUS and wiring would cause issues so I went the Atoto with the Axxess harness route. So far so good on the setup I ultimately decided on, but I'm still not 100% pleased with the aftermarket bezel look. How did this one turn out with eall the dash bolted back up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for biting the bullet on this! This is exactly what I had in mind when I first posted about it. I had my concerns that their CANBUS and wiring would cause issues so I went the Atoto with the Axxess harness route. So far so good on the setup I ultimately decided on, but I'm still not 100% pleased with the aftermarket bezel look. How did this one turn out with eall the dash bolted back up?
I haven't put the dash back together yet. I wanted to verify this would work before I went all in. Ordered the SWC box yesterday, should be here later this week. Need to look into the other accessories as well (cameras and sim card adapter)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I haven't put the dash back together yet. I wanted to verify this would work before I went all in. Ordered the SWC box yesterday, should be here later this week. Need to look into the other accessories as well (cameras and sim card adapter)
The SWC harness works well, but it required me to manually set it up with my HU. It was actually what caused me the most trouble besides finding out my first Axxess harness was faulty. I used a Boyo VTB192 camera I picked up off Amazon for $10 when it was on sale. I’m probably going to pick up a license plate mount for it though. The back up camera is a really nice feature.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SWC harness works well, but it required me to manually set it up with my HU. It was actually what caused me the most trouble besides finding out my first Axxess harness was faulty. I used a Boyo VTB192 camera I picked up off Amazon for $10 when it was on sale. I’m probably going to pick up a license plate mount for it though. The back up camera is a really nice feature.
Yea I'm just not sure if the SWC will work at all. The instructions mention how to wire to "universal 2-wire" and mention KeyA/SWC-1 and KeyB/SWC-2 wires, which the Xtrons has a Key1 and Key2, so hopefully those work. Worst case scenario I can live without the controls.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Yea I'm just not sure if the SWC will work at all. The instructions mention how to wire to "universal 2-wire" and mention KeyA/SWC-1 and KeyB/SWC-2 wires, which the Xtrons has a Key1 and Key2, so hopefully those work. Worst case scenario I can live without the controls.
Crutchfield has a harness that is supposedly plug and play. Probably more expensive than your solution.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Crutchfield has a harness that is supposedly plug and play. Probably more expensive than your solution.
The Axxess harnesses are the same as Crutchfield sells. The advantage to Crutchfield is they give you the wiring diagrams for the harness and the HU. Since the Xtrons isn’t available on Crutchfield it wouldn’t be much help.

Since I used the Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 harness the Atoto unit didn’t want to play nice with the SWC directly, so ultimately I had to use the Axxess ASWC-1 to integrate. After everything was hooked up the SWC didn’t auto recognize though so I had to manually set them up. I found a YouTube video and also a thread online on using an Atoto HU with the Axxess ASWC-1 to set up manually.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same issue. Pull the #56 fuse in the box under the hood. Just remember to replace it. I forgot to and my key fobs wouldn’t work. I guess they are on the same circuit.
Thank you, that did help. Still having issues with the box unfortunately. I can get it to start the programming sequence and I follow it to a tee, but at the end it just goes to flashing red/green. I might have to contact their tech support line. I connected it to the Axxess updater via a micro USB cable and everything looked fine, firmware was fully up to date.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thank you, that did help. Still having issues with the box unfortunately. I can get it to start the programming sequence and I follow it to a tee, but at the end it just goes to flashing red/green. I might have to contact their tech support line. I connected it to the Axxess updater via a micro USB cable and everything looked fine, firmware was fully up to date.
Are you following the steps in this video?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you following the steps in this video?
Ah, I was only half completing it. Got the programming to complete and tried all 18 radio types, nothing. Reversed the key/swc wires and repeat, still nothing. I think I'll just forgo the wheel controls, I don't find myself using them that often in this car anyways.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ah, I was only half completing it. Got the programming to complete and tried all 18 radio types, nothing. Reversed the key/swc wires and repeat, still nothing. I think I'll just forgo the wheel controls, I don't find myself using them that often in this car anyways.
From what I recall. The Chinese head units use either radio type 1 or 7. I know my Atoto was 7. I know I had to play with it a few times to get everything to work. When you program the SWC’s do you get the flashing light on the harness for each button?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I recall. The Chinese head units use either radio type 1 or 7. I know my Atoto was 7. I know I had to play with it a few times to get everything to work. When you program the SWC’s do you get the flashing light on the harness for each button?
Yes, I get a solid green light for each, then when I complete all of the buttons and hold vol up it goes to the hyper flashing then radio programming step. I think the issue is that this radio was designed to be used with their harness, universal application wasn't given much thought. Only other thing I can think of is to try the can tx/rx wires instead of the key1/2. I can give that a try after I finish installing the backup camera.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New problem, putting the car into reverse doesn't automatically open the camera. Double checked the connections, they are correct. Why do I always pick the fun projects? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, good and bad news on the reverse. I can jumper the reverse wire with 12v and it pulls the camera up as expected. Checked the reverse wire coming from the Axxess canbus adapter and it has nothing. Guess I really have to call them now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, I get a solid green light for each, then when I complete all of the buttons and hold vol up it goes to the hyper flashing then radio programming step. I think the issue is that this radio was designed to be used with their harness, universal application wasn't given much thought. Only other thing I can think of is to try the can tx/rx wires instead of the key1/2. I can give that a try after I finish installing the backup camera.
It sounds like the SWC buttons are being recognized so your wiring must be correct. After you set up the SWC's and it does the red/green hyperflash, how many times does the red light flash? I think mine kept doing 2 even though that wasn't correct. When I set up the stereo portion it took a while before I figured out that the first volume up press to start the stereo assingment counts towards the number of presses to program. So since I used #8 the "visteon" setting I needed to press the volume up 7 more times after the initial press. And then it programmed and the HU let me program the SWC's to whatever function I chose.

Ok, good and bad news on the reverse. I can jumper the reverse wire with 12v and it pulls the camera up as expected. Checked the reverse wire coming from the Axxess canbus adapter and it has nothing. Guess I really have to call them now.
Depending how your backup camera is wired to the HU, that could be the culprit. If I recall correctly, I had actually ran an extra wire I didn't need to in confusion of the instructions. At the camera I had to RCA jacks one for the video and one for the power. I tapped the reverse light for the power and grounded to the trunk hinge support. The video RCA plugged into the pigtail at the camera and it had a sister power wire attached that I connected to the same reverse light source. I then ran that cable to the HU where the RCA plugged directly in and the sister power cable attached to the HU's reverse camera wire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sounds like the SWC buttons are being recognized so your wiring must be correct. After you set up the SWC's and it does the red/green hyperflash, how many times does the red light flash? I think mine kept doing 2 even though that wasn't correct. When I set up the stereo portion it took a while before I figured out that the first volume up press to start the stereo assingment counts towards the number of presses to program. So since I used #8 the "visteon" setting I needed to press the volume up 7 more times after the initial press. And then it programmed and the HU let me program the SWC's to whatever function I chose.
It's flashing for the correct currently programmed radio. I'm using a laptop and their updater software to change the radio type, too much of a pain to go through the button process each time. I've verified it is programming the radio selection by reading it back every few programs.

Depending how your backup camera is wired to the HU, that could be the culprit. If I recall correctly, I had actually ran an extra wire I didn't need to in confusion of the instructions. At the camera I had to RCA jacks one for the video and one for the power. I tapped the reverse light for the power and grounded to the trunk hinge support. The video RCA plugged into the pigtail at the camera and it had a sister power wire attached that I connected to the same reverse light source. I then ran that cable to the HU where the RCA plugged directly in and the sister power cable attached to the HU's reverse camera wire.
Talked to their tech support, the manual Sky's don't have any sort of reverse signal so the box has nothing to pick up. I'll have to run it manually as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the dash cam and 4G dongle in yesterday, decided to button it all up today. Unfortunately the radio seems slightly larger than the opening. I'm probably going to try taking it back out after Thanksgiving and see if I can remove the bezel around the screen or something. As it is, the lower panel with the TC switch keeps wanting to pop out and I had to cut the support that goes across the top just to get it to go back on at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts