Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..... i will start it....... i live in Illinois and it is REQUIRED to have a front license plate... but i would venture to guess that at least half of the REGISTERED cars dont have them affixed. SkyBaby-07 i did an informal count while we went out to dinner tonight...... out of 287 cars.... there were only 116 with front plates.

SO....... ILLINOIS........ FRONT PLATE NEEDED

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nevada required but I am not doing it, dealer threw the plate holder in the trunk for me and laughed, I think he expected me to say that:lol: :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine put my holder in the trunk.. and said..... I DONT SEE A PLATE HOLDER FOR THE FRONT..... lolol......... if you EVER need one.... just let me know...SkyBaby-07 it was wayyyy toooo funny...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Arkansas - no front plate required. hummm, not sure why not? we have plenty of prisoners........oh well I am REALLY happy we dont muck up the front of the car with a plate.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
California requires on. No front plate of my current car for the last three years. No problems.

·
Registered
314 Posts
CA requires plate but dealers will not install upon request

What I thought was amazing, the Roseville CA dealership installed the front plate bracket on each of their first 3 I saw. 10K of mandatory add ons yet they didn't even give buyers a choice on the front license.

Luckily our dealership listened to us - ordered what we wanted and honored our request to let us decide what to do about the front plate. We won't put it on. We see vast majority of sports cars on local streets sans front plate so don't expect to run into trouble. (Famous last words?)

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Lone Star State, yep Texas, requires front plate as well.

But I'm still not putting mine on!
Yes, like that Tracy Lawrence song, you can call me a "Renegade, Rebel, & Rogue" :lol:

I see alot of exotics running without them on...seen a Ford GT, Maseratis, Porsches, Vipers, Lotus Elise, Lamborghini Murcielago, and of course alot of Corvettes without front plates.

Heck, one time at an intersection here in Dallas, my Sky and a cop car approached the same time. I was turning left and they were going straight. I went thru the intersection first AND without any incident. I'm sure the cops were too busy admiring over the Sky. :D

So in conclusion, and like what others have said before, I'm assuming the cops could really care less about the front plate issue if you have a cool looking car. Also, I'm sure they have more important things to do like catching speeders, drunk drivers, etc. than stop your Sky over having no front plate. Unless that city/county you live in is really greedy and just loooves for cops to write tickets for everything so they can make money. :nono:

BTW, I've always kept my front plate in the trunk just in case I do get pulled over one day and can explain that I do have it, so I'm covered there.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
No front plate here in Delaware...

Come to think - the state is small enough that I think the rear plate is mainly there for decoration!

:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get the feeling if you are not... HOT-RODDING... and being obviosly law-breaking... you wont get pulled over... ... JUST MY OPINION...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, I live in a heck town(pop:100,000) in west Texas. The cops in this town are itching to pull anyone over for no front plate. So if I get a ticket, what would I need to do? Take a picture and verify that it is on. Then I'll take it back off!:jester: :lol:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Spag said:
No front plate here in Delaware...

Come to think - the state is small enough that I think the rear plate is mainly there for decoration!

:lol:
Yeah what are the randomly generated plate numbers there?

"Hey neat, you got 12, im 14"

"Oh wow, you know bob down the street got a personalized plate... its got a letter in it"

"Oooooo cool... say, you wanna go to Wilmington?"

"SWEET! We can stop by Unclaimed Frieght on the way!"

"Hooorraaahhhh!"

"Delaaawarreee... Lisa Needs Braces... Delaaawarreee... Lisa Needs Braces"

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
SkyBaby said:
I get the feeling if you are not... HOT-RODDING... and being obviosly law-breaking... you wont get pulled over... ... JUST MY OPINION...SkyBaby-07
I agree completely Skybaby, 10 years between the Sky and the SC2 never been pulled except once in college when it was used as a pretext to see if I had been drinking at a river party. Otherwise I have heard a comment from an officer at a checkpoint and just the two parking citations, both were excused when I explained I did infact still have the plate.

(Still, it can happen and may give a reason for a stop to occur when you have been out on the town or anything else. So we should all be good little Sky drivers when we drive without a front plate.)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Barb and I haven't had a front plate in Ca since 1998! I took it off for the bra installation and I lost the plate in a household move in 2001 and found it again this year. I do carry it in my trunk just in case and have a story ready to go: "I have it right here officer, I took it off to put the bra on, we are headed out on a road trip and I didn't want to tear the bra. I will put it back on right now if you'd like (Sad look and sincerest eye contact).

Imaged 23/06/06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
44 Posts
Front plate required here in Iowa also. Like the rest of you my dealer was nice enought to just throw it in the trunk and say, he didn't blame me for not wanting to ruin the looks of the front of my :thumbs: car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Jersey - Yes

Jersey requires front plates... Pa and Delaware (which are very close to me) do not.

What's interesting, reading some of the posts about other states who require... is that in Jersey EVERYONE has a front plate. There's no "50% don't", or "police looking to write a ticket"... I've been driving for 23 years, and I've never once heard of someone in Joisey getting a ticket for not having a front plate... cause no one goes without!!!

Now here's some frustratingly stupid things from NJ. 1) You can't cancel car insurance without showing old company proof of new insurance or a reciept from DMV saying you turned plates in... They'll keep billing ya 2) if someone lived in your house and was on your policy (or just listed as a resident - i.e. kids with bad records bumps up your insurance) and they move away, you cant remove them from your policy without proof from that other person that they live somewhere else.... which can get tricky depending on the circumstances. "She left me for my best friend, and you say I have to go back and get proof she's now living in HIS *$*@&$# HOUSE?" :lol:

But... I've gone off-topic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not In Florida!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts