Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving along today at 70 with the top and windows down a bug hit the rear view mirror and deflected, it smashed right into the lens of my glasses... YUK....good thing I had them on.... :eek:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
driving along today at 70 with the top and windows down a bug hit the rear view mirror and deflected, it smashed right into the lens of my glasses... YUK....good thing I had them on.... :eek:
A while back I was driving by a golf course in the Spitfire and had a golfball hit my windshield frame . Another inch it would have hit the side of my head. Did not hear fore or nothing.......Skip.. Almost had some sense knocked into him.......:cheers:

·
Registered
266 Posts
anyone with other stories? I have wondered about getting plowed in the head by semi tire throw...I am fairly protected on my softtail with leathers...but geeze, I've caught a rock or two in the shin and wondered how much the damage would be without the chaps. I am used to plucking bugs out of my teeth on the Harley, but wondering what kind of road debri one might expect in the Sky

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
java43 said:
anyone with other stories? I have wondered about getting plowed in the head by semi tire throw...I am fairly protected on my softtail with leathers...but geeze, I've caught a rock or two in the shin and wondered how much the damage would be without the chaps. I am used to plucking bugs out of my teeth on the Harley, but wondering what kind of road debri one might expect in the Sky
That reminds about the time I was passing an 18 wheeler when it blew a trailer tire. Sounded like a shotgun going off next to my ear. Next thing I see is the entire tread come off miss my windshield and hit the pavement behind me. Where the idiot behind ran over it. Yep I have seen treads all over the road before but before then never watched it come off the casing like that..Skip....:lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I get a smack from a bug every once in a while riding my motorcycle.... They sure do smart when your doing 80..........

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ride my motorcycle with a full face helmet and leather jacket and still have gotten nailed in the neck, shins, and knuckles (when I am not wearing gloves) with rocks and bugs. They smart something aweful, especially getting hit in the neck.

But nothing is as fun as car parts, a la muffler pipes and tire treads, going whizzing past your head while jetting along the highway at 70-80.

I am going to feel very safe in my Sky in comparison.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
krazygoat said:
I ride my motorcycle with a full face helmet and leather jacket and still have gotten nailed in the neck, shins, and knuckles (when I am not wearing gloves) with rocks and bugs. They smart something aweful, especially getting hit in the neck.

But nothing is as fun as car parts, a la muffler pipes and tire treads, going whizzing past your head while jetting along the highway at 70-80.

I am going to feel very safe in my Sky in comparison.
:agree: I get pelted with stuff all the time on my bike, and I have a KING SIZE windshield on it too! You'd be surprised how much can get around and over that windshield. I suppose the same will hold true in the Sky with the top down. Isn't it funny how similar riding a motorcycle and driving a Sky suddenly seem? :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bee Careful!
While driving a convertible a few years ago. I got hit on the mirror by a huge bee and it landed in my lap just a buzzin :eek: . Not a good place to "bee" :nono:. I was going 70 or so on the Interstate and quickly pulled over to the shoulder. I got out and it was still stunned but alive. I quickly shook it off.
:cheers:

·
Registered
804 Posts
While driving near Columbus last summer, we had a rock- about 1/4 inch, fly in through our window, which was rolled down only 6 inches or so, and it hit my brother in the shoulder. He first thought he was shot as it hurt so bad, but we found the rock between the door and the seat. I laughed it off by telling him that I was sure happy the window was open or else it might have broke the glass. He ended up getting a really deep bruise about 1.5 inches around.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Back in 1996, had the sunroof open and a bird sh** right onto my right arm and all over the console.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I recently put 450 miles on my car for a business trip from Downtown Los Angeles, to Visalia in Central (inland) California. My car was inundated with bugs when I got back. At one point, the Blue Cross representative that I was with (who bribed me by telling me she would only do the meetings if I DROVE), got nailed in the face with a bug. The top was downm but we just rolled the windows up.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
Back in 1996, had the sunroof open and a bird sh** right onto my right arm and all over the console.
I was at the beach one time and a man riding his bicycle was foul-mouthing his lady love, little bitty thing, riding along side of him sobbing and crying...half the men in the vicinity sat up like they were going to punch him...and a seagull flew right over his head...hovered and bombed him but good It was funny.

·
Registered
165 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
EEEUUUUWWWW!!!!!!:barf:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I guess I've just been lucky. Have owned 5 convertibles since the early 70s and have never had an encounter with a bug, bird or beast of any type.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I use to get smacked alot on my motorcycle, While riding with the top down I always wear sun glasses during the day and Blueblockers at night. I hit some real bad bug swarms on my trip to and from Louisiana. :eek:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
nscrbug said:
I get pelted with stuff all the time on my bike, and I have a KING SIZE windshield on it too! You'd be surprised how much can get around and over that windshield. I suppose the same will hold true in the Sky with the top down. Isn't it funny how similar riding a motorcycle and driving a Sky suddenly seem? :lol:
:agree: Since a good part of my payment for the Sky came from the insurance payment for my R1150RT their school bus destroyed (and almost me with it) I call it my motorcycle!:lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
...this is common with these mirrors...bugs and road debris are delflect into the car. I've had bees, bugs and stones kicked up and into the car. FYI

1 - 18 of 18 Posts