Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and Zaino'd the sky this weekend and I documented the steps I took to get the job done in case anyone was curious about the process.

I bought a Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit for about 85 dollars (link). It contains everything you would need to get a complete Zaino shine. I used a very small amount of the products to get my Sky covered. I would think that between the two bottles of shine wax, you could do a Sky at least 10 times if not more. So though the price seems steep, you will be able to get a lot out of it.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS JUST HOW I APPLIED ZAINO WAX. There are many other methods that may be recommended and I know there are steps I took that some people would adamantly disagree with (applying Dawn, warm wash, ect). Do not assume that this method is the best, read instructions, ask friends who have used the product before, and decide for yourself how you would like to Zaino your Sky.

With the disclaimer out of the way, off we go.

Okay, first off get all the dust and dirt off your car with a nice wash. I relied on the local quarter wash. This will help you when you go to perform a "deep wax removal" next. Don't leave any quarters on the top of the machine, I hate when I do that.

Using the standard household dish cleaner Dawn, soap up your Sky to remove any preexisting or dealer wax on the car. Dawn is actually specifically recommended by Zaino. Use two buckets, one for the soap/warm water and one for the rinsing of your washing cloth. Admire your soft hands when done.

Dry your Sky thoroughly. I used a California Waterblade and 100% cotton cloth diaper which I stole from a clothesline.

Now you are ready to clay bar your car. I found this to be the most important step to the process and showed the most impact on the car's finish. Zaino recommends that you mix a very small amount of their car wash with water in a spray bottle -- I just cleaned out an old Downy Wrinkle Release bottle and used that. But you could use a Febreeze bottle too.

Per the instructions with the clay bars, I would spray a small area of the car thoroughly and then rub the bar over the area. It is very important that the surface is lubricated with the soap mixture. You will feel very small bits of resistance as you rub the bar over each area (that means its working!). Once you no longer feel any slight friction you can move on to the next section. Dry each area when you are done.

Wash again! This will help remove any film or leftover particles from the clay bar steps. You will notice a great shine already. Control yourself.

Dry the Sky again; make sure you use a soft 100% cotton cloth. I waited for the next day to actually apply the wax as it was late and getting colder, which apparently affects the wax's ability to cure.

I used the ZFX fast cure product from Zaino, which will save you a step and some time. I would place about a dime size amount of the product on the included apllicator pads and swirl in to the car's paint (on both metal and plastic surfaces). The product leaves a thin film that we all know and love from years of elbow grease taking off turtle wax.

WAIT for a while... a long while. I read a bit and drank an entire 2 liter bottle of orange Fanta. You can do whatever you want during this time. Just don't go driving your filmy Sky anywhere.

Once you are done with your time passing activity, again go back to a 100% cotton cloth and wipe away the wax. Smile at yourself in the reflection as much as you'd like.

Go show off your Zaino'd Sky! Take it to a photo shoot. Cruise around and make women and children weep in awe. Take the first spot at the shopping mall and watch as people gather round. Get laid. Do whatever you'd like.

~Fin~

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Thanks a lot 1994SC2... That seems simple enough for even me to follow!!! :cheers:

GREAT JOB!!! :thumbs:

The SKY looks awesome!!! :cheers:

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Way to funny...

Great job. Car looks great and thanks for the pictures. Captions were a riot:thumbs:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I went ahead and Zaino'd the sky this weekend and I documented the steps I took to get the job done in case anyone was curious about the process.....(snip)..... Take the first spot at the shopping mall and watch as people gather round. Get laid. Do whatever you'd like.
~Fin~
Great shots and super instructions. I have similar pictures of Zaino on my wifes SW2 wagon (blue/black). Like you have stated, "look at yourself in the mirror". I don't know if you used it or not but the other treatment that gives it that "wet" look also looks good as a final treatment - I have some but I don't know where I laid it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback. The finish looks great and the wet coat that you referred to makes it even slicker.

I think the most significant step to the shine was the clay barring, so if you are considering a good wax coat, grab the clay bar as well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Can you Zaino at anytime? Even though we just got ur sky we will not drive it much until spring. I was thinking of letting the factory/dealer was job hold unitl spring.

Blue

·
Registered
426 Posts
car looks great man :cheers:

But if you needed to wait that long for the Zaino to dry your putting on to much. One on the keys to Zaino is putting it on so light that you can barely see it. That way by the time you have put it on the whole car, its ready to come off of the 1st panel you Zainoed.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
car looks great man :cheers:

But if you needed to wait that long for the Zaino to dry your putting on to much. One on the keys to Zaino is putting it on so light that you can barely see it. That way by the time you have put it on the whole car, its ready to come off of the 1st panel you Zainoed.
Yeah, I went as light as possible, I was just following the instructions that said in cooler weather it can take longer to cure. So since it was about 50 degrees outside, I let it sit for a while.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay -- I think I figured out what was really bothering me: What does Zaino smell like?

I mean, it smells great, and it actually made me hungry to apply the wax - at age 5 I would have tasted it.

I believe its the same smell as those fluoride gel dental trays you got as a child - they were like topical application mouthpieces you had to keep in your mouth for 10 minutes or so. More specifically, It smells like the bubblegum "flavor" tray.

Here's to protecting our Skys from evil plaque...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I know this isn't exactly under the topic of Zaino...but at what point did you seal your convertable top?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Great shots and super instructions. I have similar pictures of Zaino on my wifes SW2 wagon (blue/black). Like you have stated, "look at yourself in the mirror". I don't know if you used it or not but the other treatment that gives it that "wet" look also looks good as a final treatment - I have some but I don't know where I laid it.
Zaino Bros - In the garage, cell phone camera with poor lighting (Right Rear quarter panel of Sky)

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow, that's some sparkle when even the camera catches it!

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
But does it work on Silver Pearl...I have to admit, that came out GREAT...but I know on Silver Pearl, no mirror image....u cannot have everything.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Clay Bar?

Since I am from the old school of a little dawn in a bucket of hot water lather rinse and dry..............pardon my ignorance but WTF is the clay for.........making pottery? :willy:

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
Jeff...get the MeGuires detail kit...it is about 22-25 dollars...a good rule of thumb to use is rub your hand over the hood of your car...if you can feel some roughness on the paint....do the claying...it really is simple. You do not have to do the entire car....u probably won't need it on the rear trunk area because it does not get hit with road debris.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jeff...get the MaQuires detail kit...it is about 22-25 dollars...a good rule of thumb to use is rub your hand over the hood of your car...if you can feel some roughness on the paint....do the claying...it really is simple. You do not have to do the entire car....u probably won't need it on the rear trunk area because it does not get hit with road debris.
Ok............but what does the clay actually do?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts