Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have a 2007 base model with the option Z01. Its stitched into the headrest and logo on the side. I assume this meant some sort of upgrade for audio, maybe color option, etc. I am the second owner of the car, it was passed down to me from a family member that passed away. Some other things I find different is it doesn't have a engine cover, and it has a chrome cold air intake that has a GM Motors Sticker on it, and last thing was it doesn't have automatic locks.

I have searched every where to find out more about the Z01 option, does anyone have any insight on the option tor anything else I listed above. I am curious since I never see this option listed on Saturns that are for sale, how many of these cars were sold with this option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's not a z01 option for any saturn sky. Z is for a v8, camaro, corvette etc. Somebody put that on probably for a custom look

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
There was a Z0K option for the Solstice (not the Sky) - which was a suspension package that basically converted the base car to the GXP's suspension. But again, that was not offered for the Sky.

I'm with Riley - aftermarket badge engineering

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, GM did not have any badges on the side of the car,except for the GM badge. Not even Redline, just a 3 bar chrome and red square on the rear bumper next to the sky logo

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
Hey there, I have a 2007 base model with the option Z01. Its stitched into the headrest and logo on the side. I assume this meant some sort of upgrade for audio, maybe color option, etc. I am the second owner of the car, it was passed down to me from a family member that passed away. Some other things I find different is it doesn't have a engine cover, and it has a chrome cold air intake that has a GM Motors Sticker on it, and last thing was it doesn't have automatic locks.

I have searched every where to find out more about the Z01 option, does anyone have any insight on the option tor anything else I listed above. I am curious since I never see this option listed on Saturns that are for sale, how many of these cars were sold with this option.
The Z01 question has been answered pretty thoroughly, I think.

Many people have removed the engine cover. It is mainly an appearance piece, but does provide a limited amount of engine sound dampening. The car will be fine without it, but you can probably find a used take-off if you want to return to the original look. Just keep in mind that the covers for the NA (Base) and RL are different.

The cold air intake is a popular appearance option, with versions sold by GM and the aftermarket. It adds sound and look different, but doesn't add or detract from performance. Like the engine cover, used take-offs are available.

Your Sky does have automatic locks, all of them did. What it won't have if it is an early model is an inside door lock switch. What specifically do you mean when you say it doesn't have them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sorry about all the confusion. I just got the car that was being stored and it’s not z01 it’s Z07. I attached a few pictures for reference.
The car doesn’t have a door lock switch inside the car. Just thought that was weird. But a lot of the interior of the car is odd as we all know that drive this car.

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
So sorry about all the confusion. I just got the car that was being stored and it’s not z01 it’s Z07. I attached a few pictures for reference.
The car doesn’t have a door lock switch inside the car. Just thought that was weird. But a lot of the interior of the car is odd as we all know that drive this car.
Not a problem. There wasn't a Z07 option for the Sky either, so the number doesn't make a difference.

That is a GMPP cold air intake, and the engine cover has simply been removed. The studs with the balls on their tops are the mounting points for the cover.

As I said, the early cars did not have switches, but it is possible to add one if you are sufficiently motivated. I have survived for almost 14 years without one, somehow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have seen these before I am wondering if they were made up by a dealership to up the price like yanko did and greenwood on the corvettes.

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
I have seen these before I am wondering if they were made up by a dealership to up the price like yanko did and greenwood on the corvettes.
The Yenko Camaros and Greenwood Corvettes involved actual and significant performance enhancements, Yenko on the street and Greenwood on the track.
This looks more like someone's idea of performance-themed "style" unless the engine mods go a lot further than a CAI and removing the engine cover.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was just using those to show that there were all kinds of upgrades that dealerships did that were not factory options.
Sorry for the confusion thinking I was implying that it was some sort of super car. This type of thing was done by dealerships all across the country for ever, from special paint, tires and so on.😊

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. I am not sure what the other upgrade are made with this package. There seems to be no information on this package on line.

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
Yeah. I am not sure what the other upgrade are made with this package. There seems to be no information on this package on line.
There is no "package", or at least not an official one. I suspect that the previous owner thought it made an interesting decoration, although it is possible that a dealer did it as @Nasher suggests.

Were any records kept? Are there any other family members or friends who may have knowledge of the car? That is probably going to be the best source of information about it.

@Robotech is somewhere near you, I think. Depending on how close you actually are it would be worth getting him to look at it, since he can surely recognize any performance mods that it may have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately this was a family member that passed away and the closest person to him doesn’t have any information on what things he included when he bought it. He bought straight from the dealer. Thank you all for replying. This has been some help. I know that it was a rare option as there isn’t a lot of information available. I am sure at some point it will be known. What is the word on these cars? Are drivers trying to keep them stock for collecting?

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
........ Are drivers trying to keep them stock for collecting?
Yes.

No.

The mst common thought is that they will never be collectible, but opinions are all over the map since (unfortunately) no one can see into the future,

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Dealers would do all sorts of things that weren't factory approved and would never add any value to the cars - usually quite the contrary. When I bought my Solstice coupe, the dealer I got it from was also a Saturn dealer and had a bunch of Sky on the floor, one of which had a series of portholes cut in the front bodywork with chrome rings in them - an obvious Buick reference. I asked the salesman who had done that to the poor hapless car and they said that they had - apparently some people like that sort of thing and buy the cars.

I suspect that is what happened to your car, and I guess it worked as it did sell. If you want to track the car back to the original dealership, they may be able to give you more info on what and why they were doing this.

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
Dealers would do all sorts of things that weren't factory approved and would never add any value to the cars - usually quite the contrary. When I bought my Solstice coupe, the dealer I got it from was also a Saturn dealer and had a bunch of Sky on the floor, one of which had a series of portholes cut in the front bodywork with chrome rings in them - an obvious Buick reference. I asked the salesman who had done that to the poor hapless car and they said that they had - apparently some people like that sort of thing and buy the cars.

I suspect that is what happened to your car, and I guess it worked as it did sell. If you want to track the car back to the original dealership, they may be able to give you more info on what and why they were doing this.
Its not just dealers. There is a wealth of evidence on these very forums of the hideous things that people have done to their cars and been very proud of.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can we change the title of this thread to Z07 for future searches?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts