Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ok, this might go under the heading of dumb steering wheel questions, but humor me. My 08 Sky NA doesn’t have the radio controls on the steering wheel, curious if the wiring/harness is already there? With so many people upgrading their steering wheel, it might be an inexpensive upgrade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This car has the worst stock shifter ever....leaving that stock in a manual is just sad. Likewise the steering wheel could certainly be improved but it's certainly not as bad as the stock shifter, but I sold the stock shifter and easily covered the DDMWorks shift adapter + new shifter, Polaris Slingshot Parts

SO.... Who wants to buy my 27k Steering wheel still in very good condition for $650? OK, on sale for $450...

·
Registered
690 Posts
This car has the worst stock shifter ever....leaving that stock in a manual is just sad. Likewise the steering wheel could certainly be improved but it's certainly not as bad as the stock shifter, but I sold the stock shifter and easily covered the DDMWorks shift adapter + new shifter, Polaris Slingshot Parts

SO.... Who wants to buy my 27k Steering wheel still in very good condition for $650?
Well, that shoots my theory of a cheap steering wheel upgrade! 🤔😂

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wnolte, check out youtube, Mike's house of Mods....
I think he has to do a follow-up video of the steering wheel install but he has (had) an NA...maybe some clues there

Reactions: Wnolte1122

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those who don't know what youtube is yet... here is an install video on this topic

·
Registered
32 Posts
From what I can see of the actual casting visible through the plastic cover, it looks nothing like the Corvette wheel I just installed on mine.
2006-2013 Z06 wheel is what you are looking for. View attachment 118034
Love the look of that wheel, I am getting picky here, but in your research, do they make that in the carbon fiber, with the red stitching, but without the red band at the top? I haven't found one in my looking but perhaps you have? Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Why not leave the stock steering wheel as is?
I personally believe keeping our cars stock is best.
I’m just one of those who believe if the upgrade fits my taste and is functional I will pursue it. Manufacturers offer options for a reason. Originally , they have to appeal to a broad market, but not everyone likes the same thing.
I keep all original parts also.
in the case of the wheel, it’s an interactive and aesthetic part of the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’m just one of those who believe if the upgrade fits my taste and is functional I will pursue it. Manufacturers offer options for a reason. Originally , they have to appeal to a broad market, but not everyone likes the same thing.
I keep all original parts also.
in the case of the wheel, it’s an interactive and aesthetic part of the car.
I personally would not buy a modified car in any way.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
That is how I generally feel....keeping the car stock. But I found doing a few mild deviations quite rewarding like refacing the IP on our 2007 Base here.
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Plant

Also changing the interior lighting from dark orange to daylight LED here. I had to change some burnt-out bulbs anyway so it was a good opportunity for a complete conversion.
Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Car Automotive lighting

Back to the steering wheel. Our Sky's original steering wheel suffered from a dog chew. I bought a second-hand one off eBay which looked perfect on-line, but once in-hand I noticed some minor wear and tear, primarily from the sun. I sought out matching dark gray leather dye to no avail, finally gave up, caved in, and bought plain old black leather dye. I personally find it acceptable having the steering wheel gloss black to match the many other gloss black interior appointments. If the leather on your steering wheel isn't up to your own standards, dying it gloss black may be a viable solution. Just remember that doing so, also changes the color of the stitching, in my case from white to black.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Bright Yellow Sky
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Believe it or not I only wanted to keep it stock, and that's what I did for about a year restoring it to factory as much as possible. A year later I decided that this was MY Sky and I haven't regretted a thing 😁

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
This is my belief when it comes to modifying. Any part that you can get and put on like norm’s fenders where you keep the original fenders and still can switch back. Unlike when someone cut holes in the doors for speaks or in the trans tunnel for a shifter.

Cutting the fender support for Lamborghini doors is something I would not do to a car that had no damage. Then this is my thoughts and again it’s your car, If that’s what appeals to you go for it.

There is always exceptions like what was done to momsca, I commend him for how he save the car from being a parts car. what he did because of the crazing of the clear plastic on the tail lites was a great improvement.

The same with rjgramps, he is also a great example of someone who put a lot of love into his car. Like what he did with the steering wheel. There is not too many options and I think what he did looks great.

These members are showing great options for things that are not available or stupid price which are out of reach for some.

So don’t listen to the grumpy negative people. Keep doing what you do.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
669 Posts
These are cheap little cars. Do what you want and enjoy the vehicle and hobby. Not exactly a collector vehicle. Yes, there are a few, but for the masses, they are cheap cars. Prices are creeping up, but not even at what they sold for. If you have a brand new vehicle kept in a vault, Hope you get back what you paid for it plus any maintenance and storage costs.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I see that top-dead-center vertical colored strip in a number of those "D" wheels. Is there a functional purpose to it, or is it simply a styling feature?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think squilliam was saying HIS wheel was a direct swap, not (necessarily) your yellow one. As I look at it (your pic) I would not be able to say it it would work or not. You need the 5 tapped holes that you can see on squilliam's pic to mount the parts from your original wheel. Your (yellow) pic only shows two. The other three might well be there, but that plastic molding covers them up if so.

You also need the depth to mount the horn/airbag plate from the original wheel, while your pic implies that that space is filled-in with the frame casting. It's just too difficult to tell, but I would not risk the $650 on it. Certainly unless the seller is willing to do returns.

I have a yellow sky and think that yellow wheel is ugly!
As much as you believe that your car should be kept stock, others believe that they should make their car uniquely "their own".
Within good taste.
My Sky has C5 Vette wheels

21 - 40 of 47 Posts