Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline (Mischief)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I'm looking at a few upgrades for my 08 Redline, and an exhaust is on the list.

I'm looking at the ZZPerformance full exhaust, but I can't find any information on them, so- is anyone running one?

How do you like it?

Thanks,
Merlyn

·
Registered
363 Posts
I dont have it, but I watched their video and I liked the sound. I like the look too. Plus it is a turbo-back set up.

Im saving up for it. They do build them to order, so you'll have about a 6 week wait time after ordering.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Solo stands above any other after market exhaust manufacturer - may want to take a look at their products.

Reactions: Merlin

·
Registered
881 Posts
Howdy!

I'm looking at a few upgrades for my 08 Redline, and an exhaust is on the list.

I'm looking at the ZZPerformance full exhaust, but I can't find any information on them, so- is anyone running one?

How do you like it?

Thanks,
Merlyn
It's very new to the market. I'm not sure how many they've actually sold at this point. Their price point is competitive though at $999. That's just a little above the current pricing for the Solo setup and cheaper than the Magnaflow option.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline (Mischief)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solo stands above any other after market exhaust manufacturer - may want to take a look at their products.
I did- the Mach Shorty is on the short list too.

I watched a couple of install videos on the Solo, and it looks like all the joints are butt cut and held together exclusively by clamps. That bothers me a bit, but they do get decent reviews.

Merlyn

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The build quality of the Solo products is excellent. I expect that they use the band clamps to reduce shipping cost to the buyer; I don't consider them Ideal either and had my Solo systems welded up instead of using clamps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
V-Band class and gaskets are highly reliable so long as they are installed correctly. Transit busses use V-Band exclusively. It cuts down on parts cost and size.

The other benefit to the ZZP at that price point is you get a HFC with it, which would ordinarily set you back $250 to $360 depending on vendor.

Couple that with having to make sure the Solo and the Cat will go together nicely makes for the ZZP being a good value.

So a Solo priced at ~$700 plus and HFC at ~$300 puts you right on at $1,000. ZZP at $999 (let's just call it $1,000) becomes a pretty good bet.

Granted, it all depends on personal taste. Solo has several tip options, where as ZZP only has one (as far as I can tell).

Either way, both look solid. Both will give you a great sound. I don't think there is a "wrong" choice here. Myself, I like the convenience of the ZZP being turbo back vs cat back. And I like the sound a lot in their video.

·
Registered
881 Posts
V-Band class and gaskets are highly reliable so long as they are installed correctly. Transit busses use V-Band exclusively. It cuts down on parts cost and size.

The other benefit to the ZZP at that price point is you get a HFC with it, which would ordinarily set you back $250 to $360 depending on vendor.

Couple that with having to make sure the Solo and the Cat will go together nicely makes for the ZZP being a good value.

So a Solo priced at ~$700 plus and HFC at ~$300 puts you right on at $1,000. ZZP at $999 (let's just call it $1,000) becomes a pretty good bet.

Granted, it all depends on personal taste. Solo has several tip options, where as ZZP only has one (as far as I can tell).

Either way, both look solid. Both will give you a great sound. I don't think there is a "wrong" choice here. Myself, I like the convenience of the ZZP being turbo back vs cat back. And I like the sound a lot in their video.
The package includes an HFC. I think this combo is cheaper than Solo's Mach Shorty + HFC. Looks nicer too with the dual resonators vs a single muffler style.
I didn't catch that it came with a HFC the couple times I looked at it. Thanks y'all for pointing that out. That does make it a good value. I also like that it comes with resonators as I don't believe the Solo Street setup does. I know they're not technically mufflers and turbos don't really need a muffler, but I imagine they would still help cut some of the undesirable acoustics out that come with a muffler-less system and could also possibly pass as a visual "muffler" during a state inspection that requires mufflers like it does here in TX. I know most get by, but I have heard of folks getting failed at some inspection stations for running straight pipes. Those resonators aren't that different visually in size to the muffler on my Jeep.

My only complaint so far that I've seen on the ZZP system is that I only see it has the single tip exhaust like the Solstice setup. I can't really complain as I have the Magnaflow exhaust for the Solstice on my RL with the single round tips. It works, but the rectangular cut out in the valence with the 4" round tip does look a little odd. I know quad tips is the way most of the other systems go for the Sky, but I would love it if ZZP did a rectangular tip for the Sky.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I didn't catch that it came with a HFC the couple times I looked at it. Thanks y'all for pointing that out. That does make it a good value. I also like that it comes with resonators as I don't believe the Solo Street setup does. I know they're not technically mufflers and turbos don't really need a muffler, but I imagine they would still help cut some of the undesirable acoustics out that come with a muffler-less system and could also possibly pass as a visual "muffler" during a state inspection that requires mufflers like it does here in TX. I know most get by, but I have heard of folks getting failed at some inspection stations for running straight pipes. Those resonators aren't that different visually in size to the muffler on my Jeep.

My only complaint so far that I've seen on the ZZP system is that I only see it has the single tip exhaust like the Solstice setup. I can't really complain as I have the Magnaflow exhaust for the Solstice on my RL with the single round tips. It works, but the rectangular cut out in the valence with the 4" round tip does look a little odd. I know quad tips is the way most of the other systems go for the Sky, but I would love it if ZZP did a rectangular tip for the Sky.
The tips are the only piece of the set up that irks me a little, for the exact reason you listed.

Seeing as they are built to order, I wonder if they'd be open to using another tip style that have in stock? Surely the ATS would have a rectangular or quat tip set up?

Either way, once I have the funds together, the ZZP is going on my car :D

·
Registered
321 Posts

The solo hi dlow cat is now $531 as I just talked to Jeff at solo the other day. But imo I have had solo on 3 of my solstices in the past and I think it’s worth the money

·
Registered
321 Posts

Solo has different kits depending on what your looking for

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do they have a kit with the HFC competitively priced to ZZP?
The exhaust kits that I had on my sol were the race exhaust with the hi flow cat so they had no cats and were def loud. I’m pretty sure your not going that route. But if you look on their site they have different kits depending on what your looking for. Everything is separate with solo so you would pay a little more that route. Go the route that best suites you

·
Registered
881 Posts
Solo has different kits depending on what your looking for
They do have a few different options, but for an apple to apple comparison I was referencing to their "Street Race" setup as being the closest to compare to. Their other offerings include a muffler and the ZZP exhaust does not for comparison.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts