Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This is pure disinformation. The LEA engine does not have a timing belt. No engine used in a 2010 Acadia does.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I guess that I can say that my Sky flies and they will print that a Mustang sprouted wings.

·
Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
This is pure disinformation. The LEA engine does not have a timing belt. No engine used in a 2010 Acadia does.
"Disinformation" is too strong a word, and implies that it is misleading in some significant way. More likely it is simply sloppy reporting. The LNF and LE5 engines both have had issues with timing chains, or more specifically the chain guides, wearing out prematurely, and the LEA engines may have the same issue. The reporter doesn't know the difference between chains and belts, but to the consumer it doesn't matter if it is a belt or a chain, the engine requires repair, and that is the point of the article.

·
Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
How about term misinformation?
My opinion is that also implies an attempt to mislead as opposed to a failure on the part of the writer to understand what he is writing about.
Not that my opinion is any kind of absolute authority (even though it really should be).

I like to use Hanlon’s Razor: ‘Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by neglect.’

Although I generally substitute "incompetence" for "neglect", the principle in general gives me a slightly more positive outlook on most things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The media has been down on the Kappa since its introduction. Some of the negative press has been justified while much of it has not. Some of it was just incorrect and was based on the writer's idea of what it appeared to be rather than what it was, colored by there misconceptions of what is actually better and what is perceived to be better.

Most of us have learned to ignore the press, improve those things we can change, and accept the rest. The rest have moved on to something that suits them better.

As far as the saddle bag comparison, a Harley riding friend and I compared luggage space after i got my first one and determined that his saddle bags did have more room than my trunk with the top down, so that one is fairly legitimate.

The top comparison is generally with the Miata, and it is more involved since the Miata can be put up or down while sitting in the driver's seat. This is a legitimate comparison that is a big deal if you are trying to find faults and not such a big deal if you don't care. I guess that applies to all of the cars "shortcomings".

It really all comes down to what is important to the individual and what isn't.

I would not trade my Sky for anything (within reason) but I have never recommended that anyone I know should get one.
Well said John! I have just traded my 2008 XL1200 Custom for a 2008 Sky with 16,500 miles on it. My Harley had Corbin hard bags and taking a trip required creative planning and packing. The trunk in my “new”Sky seems enormous in comparison. It’s all about perspective......

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just a general comment on 'press'. The print media are usually pretty good in terms of checking facts and analyzing cars first hand, so when they say something negative about a particular car, you file that away and see if you agree with them if you decide to check out that model in person.

The quality of journalism on the internet is far lower - anyone can regurgitate the opinions of others, usually adding some of their own, having never even set eyes on a particular car. And some of those seem to live to trash cars - seldom a good review. Caveat emptor applies!

There are a whole bunch of negative things that have been said about the Kappas and many of them are true. All cars have flaws. Whether or not the things you like about them outweigh the negatives determines whether you will own one or not.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts